Chapter 21 -

"Ella," I heard my mother whisper in my ear. It's early, and I have school today but school doesn't start yet. "Sweetie, get up," she coaxes, tapping my shoulder.

I groan and sit up, yawning and stretching my arms above my head. "Mom? It's so early." I grab my phone from the nightstand and check the time. 5:57. I shouldn't be up yet, I could sleep in for thirty minutes more.

"Get ready, I have to talk to you in the kitchen before you leave." She smiles at me and walks out of my bedroom.

I sigh in frustration, throwing the covers off of my body and going to the closet. After searching for a good outfit, I finally come up with a long sleeved white shirt and blue jeans, slipping on my black and white converse to finish it off.

Checking my appearance in the mirror, I brush through my hair and do my make-up. I've never been a make-up girl before, so I keep it looking natural and simple. 

Breakfast is on the table when I get downstairs. It's buttered toast and eggs. I sit down across from my mother who just smiles at me. She looks fancier than usual, a black pencil skirt and a white blouse. Maybe it's another job interview.

I pick up my fork and scoop some of the scrambled eggs onto a slice of toast. "Aren't you going to eat?" I ask, taking a small bite.

"Oh, I already did," she answers. "I need to talk to you."

I nod slowly, raising my eyebrows. "About what?"

"Your father."

I stop chewing and look at her. This is one of the very few times she has mentioned my father since the car accident, and I'm surprised. "Okay."

"I have to go back to Ohio," she explains. "For a week."

I place the toast back on the plate and cross my arms over my chest, scoffing. "So, I just stay here? Alone?"

"Well, yes. I trust you, sweetie." The side of her mouth turns up slightly.

"That's nice to know," I mutter. "So, why?"

"I have things to discuss with your father. And we have to go to court, they'll decide how long his jail time is, and other stuff." I can see the sadness in her eyes when she speaks of my father. He ruined this family, and all because of one stupid mistake.

"Okay. So when are you leaving?"

"I'll be gone by the time you get home. Now even though I do trust you, I have to lay down some rules." I nod before she continues. "You can use the oven, but be extra careful and make sure you turn it off when you're done. I know you forget sometimes.

"You can have friends over, but on school nights they have to leave by 7 o'clock. Make sure all homework gets completed. Don't stay up too late, no parties. Friends can sleep over on weekends. And if you need anything, call me or ask one of the neighbors. Remember, Ellie. I'm trusting you. Don't make me regret it."

I shake my head, smiling. "I won't mom. Just two questions though. When will you be back? And why can't I come with?"

"I'll be back on either Tuesday or Wednesday next week. And school is your main priority right now, honey."

"Okay."

"Now, finish your breakfast, I'm going to finish packing." She stands up and walks over to me, kissing me on the cheek. "Bye, love you." 

"Love you too."

-

After reaching my locker, I explain the news to Paula and Maggie. Both of them are pleasantly surprised.