Chapter 56 -

My instincts kick in as soon as I feel a body crawling on top. My knee jumps up and hits Jered right in the crotch.

I let out a shaky breath and I fall to the floor, scurrying to my feet and out the door. I hear him groaning as I slam my bedroom door shut.

"Mom?" I whisper-shout. My forehead starts to get sweaty as I think of all the possibilities that could've happened to her. Jered wouldn't kill her, would he?

I run to her bedroom down the hall and fling open the door. A window is wide open, the curtains blowing wildly and rain pouring into the house. A big clap of thunder sounds and I whimper, looking around.

The only moments I can see is when lightening strikes. I slowly move through the room, searching for my mother. Suddenly I feel an arm wrap around my waist and a hand clasp over my mouth. I almost scream but when lightening strikes and I look down at the hand, I notice the fingernails are painted red. My mother.

I turn around and hug her tightly, letting out a relieved sigh. "Mom, Jered's in the house!" I say, pulling away slightly.

She purses her lips, cocking an eyebrow. "Obviously, Ella, I am aware my ex trespassed onto my property. I've already phoned the police. Oh, sweetie, did he hurt you at all?"

"He-he was going to.. He started," I pause, taking a breath before looking her in the eyes. "He was touching me, until I knocked him off."

She gasps and pulls me against her chest, patting down my hair. "I'm so sorry, honey. We're leaving, we are leaving this horrible place when this is over, I promise."

Wait, what? "What do you mean-"

"Julie."

My mother swivels around, still holding me to her side. "Jered. The police are on their way. I suggest you back the fuck off." My mouth falls open after hearing my mother speak that way. I've never heard her sound so . . . sassy.

Jered smirks, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a switchblade. He presses a button and up comes the knife. My mother begins backing away, and my breaths quicken.

I hear a gunshot and my hands move up to cover my eyes, biting my lip to keep from screaming. Sturdy footsteps sound in the room and I peek through my fingers. There, Jered lies on the floor of my mother's bedroom, moaning in pain, and a small puddle of blood forming around his leg. Behind him stands a police officer, and a second one is coming towards my mother and I.

"Ladies, are you alright?" The officer asks, swiftly sliding a gun back into the halter around her waist.

My mother nods quickly. "Please, just get that weirdo out of this house."

-

"I do not want to leave!" I shout, kicking over the suitcase my mother carried into my room. Two days after the incident and she's been packing up the entire house. 

"I cannot stay here, Ella. We are going back, we never should've left, we are returning to Ohio, that's final."

I wipe away the falling tears and let out a frustrated sigh. I don't want to leave. Australia is no longer a place for me to escape what happened in America. It's a home. My home. Memories flash through my head.

Meeting Maggie for the first time and swooning over Michael. Meeting Calum on the porch of their house. Making out with Luke in his car, and getting caught by my mother while making out with Luke. Ending things with Luke. Kissing Ashton at the sleepover, for the first time, and remembering the feeling of always wanting to feel his lips. Shopping with Paula and Maggie, my two best friends.

Dreaming about Ashton. Sleeping with Ashton. Falling in love with him, somehow, along the way. And having my heart broken by him.

And so much more that I have to leave behind.

I don't hesitate to wipe away tears as I fold my clothes, haul all the furniture into a truck with my mother, take down the pictures in my room. 

At the end of the day, the house is just as it was before we arrived - empty.

-

At the airport, my mother purchases two tickets to Dayton, Ohio. We're told we have to spend a while waiting for our flight, so while my mother flips through fashion magazines, I walk to an empty corner and pull out my phone.

I dial Maggie's number and leave a message.

"Maggie? Hi. So, my mother is dragging me to Ohio. Last night, her ex broke in, and I guess she's a little traumatized... I don't know. Anyways, I'm leaving. I'm going to miss you so much. I don't want to lose contact, though, okay? We can Skype, and message, and call. Love you, bye."

I hit end and this time, I call Paula.

"Paula, I just sent a message to Maggie, but I wanted to make sure you found out from me in case you aren't with her. I'm going back to Ohio. Maggie can explain why. You're one of my best friends, and I really don't want to leave you guys. I love you! Make sure we stay in contact."

I make sure to hang up before she hears me crying. After I collect myself, I call Luke, Michael, and Calum to give them the same news.

And last, I call Ashton.

The line rings, and rings, until I receive his voicemail.

"I love you. Oh, shit. Okay, let me start over. Hi, Ashton. It's Ella," I laugh nervously, taking a deep breath and continuing. "Last night, a guy got into our house and scared my mother. Scared her so much . . . She's taking me back to Ohio. You have to believe me, I don't want to leave. I love you. I know shit happened, and I don't know if I forgive you, but I wanted you to know that I do love you still." My voice cracks as I say, "bye, Ash," and I hang up as they call our flight.

-

A/N HI EVERYONE

there's over 30k reads on this story, so thank you all so much for reading my story! I love reading your guys' comments, and seeing that you liked the chapter and voted. I love you all!

this is the last chapter! I feel like it's a little rushed, I'm horrible at writing endings. THERE IS A SEQUEL! I am really excited to write it. I will post on here when the prologue for it is up. 

I hope you liked this story as much as I liked writing it, guys. Love you, and make sure to watch out for the second book! :)