Chapter 44 -

Right in the middle of a long, heated kiss, Ashton's phone begins to ring. "Ah, shit," he mumbles against my lips.

Standing up, he grabs his phone from the pocket of his jeans that are laying on the floor. He presses a button and holds it to his ear. Curiously, I sit up on my elbows and watch him.

"Hello?" Ashton says rudely. I hear someone talking on the other line but I'm too far away to make out who it is.

"Uh, no. I'm not interested in that. I'm kinda, er, off the market." He pauses, the stranger speaks more. "No, for the last time."

Ashton groans and face palms before replying to the person. "Fine, fuck." And then, in a low voice that I can just barely hear, making me think he intended me not to, he says, "don't tell anyone."

He hangs up and plops back into bed with me. "Who was that?" I ask calmly.

"Luke," he replies, relaxed.

"Oh."

"I have to do a quick errand," he tells me. "And you better get home, naughty girl. Your mother will be upset," he teases me.

I force a laugh, but something tells me whatever he's doing isn't just an errand. But I decide to trust him, I have no reason not to.

"I guess I better get home," I respond, standing up and slipping into my clothes. "If you're going on an errand, mind dropping me off?"

"Not at all," he smiles, and once he's fully clothed, we head outside.

Once he's seated on the motorcycle, I hop on behind him and lace my arms around his waist, comfortably resting my head on his back.

I give him a goodbye kiss, lingering a bit longer than I should, once we arrive at my driveway.

"Bye, baby girl." He waves, a cheeky grin playing on his lips.

"Bye, Ash."

-

Turns out, my mother wasn't mad, she just thought I had went back to Luke's house for a while after school. I went along with the assumption and turned in for the night.

And when I say "turned in for the night," I mean I actually laid in bed in my Scooby-Doo pajamas for two hours while watching Grey's Anatomy.

The way Meredith and Derek can't seem to stay apart reminds me of Ashton and I. If I were to ever try to pull away, or him to me, I'm not sure I'd be able to.

I end up falling asleep with my laptop on my stomach, the sound of Grey's streaming through my headphones.

- a few days later

"Aren't you excited for homecoming?" Paula squeals at me. It's Thursday, a week after spending part of the day after school with Ashton.

Mom allowed Paula and Maggie to stay over today, tomorrow (which is homecoming night!), Saturday and Sunday. I'm so excited to be able to finally have some quality time with my best friends.

"I am, Ashton agreed to come with me."

"Oh," Maggie mumbles and Paula sighs, rolling her eyes.

"I thought we were going together?" Paula says angrily, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Oh, God. I forgot, I'm so sorry. I'll still hang out with you guys, I swear! I just really like Ash, and he actually said he'd go with me, and-"

"Ella, calm yourself," Maggie giggles, looking up. "It's okay, but you have to tell us what happens! I went to middle school with Ashton and he was a jerk then, you've seemed to, well, change him."