Chapter 29 -

"Or," he starts. "You could stay?"

I stop in my tracks, my hand lingering on the doorknob. I turn around slowly and meet Ashton's gaze. "Stay?" I ask.

"J-just for a few hours," he stutters, and I realize how nervous he is asking me this. I smile to myself. "I recall you saying your mum won't be back till tomorrow, so she won't mind? We could play board games, or whatever."

"Yeah," I answer him, returning my hand to my side. I walk past him and to the double bed at the back of the trailer, my shoulder brushing against him as I pass. I sit down and smile at him.

"I'll, um, go get the games," he says, and turns to a cupboard. He tugs it open and scans over an array of boxes, finally choosing one. He sits down beside me and places the box in between us. The title of the game is Scrabble, and memories of playing the game with my father comes to mind.

"You don't seem like the board game type," I say, and Ashton shrugs.

"They pass time." He answers, lifting the lid off of the box and taking out the board. He sets it up carefully, and we start the game. (A/N I have only played scrabble a few times, I'm sorry if I get the rules wrong or something)

Ashton spells out many long, inappropriate words, resulting in him getting ahead of me.

"Ash," I whine. The only words I've spelled is cat and train. He only chuckles and spells more words. "This game sucks."

"You're only complaining because you're losing." He looks up and grins playfully.

"Good point." I sigh.

-

Ashton ends up beating me by just a few points, and he cheers to himself as he puts the board game away.

"What do you want to do now?" He asks, sitting down beside me. Our knees are touching and my heart is beating fast.

"I don't know," I mumble.

"I have a motercycle," he tells me, and I look at him. "We could ride somewhere."

"No way, those are dangerous."

"Loosen up, Ella. You'll be okay, I'm a great driver." He assures me and I nod slowly. It might be good to try new things, but then again, everything could go wrong in a split second. I try not to think about that, though.

"Okay," I answer and he stands up, extending a hand downwards for me. I take it and stand up.

He leads me out the screen door and closes it quietly behind us. We walk around the side of the small trailer and sitting there is a black, shiny motercycle.

He gets on and pats the seat behind him. I hop on.

He hands me a helmet and puts one on for himself. He has two helmets, I think. Maybe he's droven other girls around before.

"Are you ready?" He asks me and I nod. "Wrap your arms around me."

I slowly lace my arms around his waist as he starts the engine. Soon enough we're out of the trailer park and onto the road.

I peek over his shoulder and notice he's going 40 miles an hour. My heart is racing with adrenaline as we speed down the road.

The scenery is beautiful, the flowers and the fields and the trees are all blurred together and I love it.

My hair is whipping in the wind and I find myself wishing I had pulled it into a ponytail.

We reach the town and finally Ashton slows down. "Where do you want to go?" He shouts over the loud noise of the engine.

I'm in the mood for a sundae, and so I shout out, "Ice cream!"

He takes quick right and I wrap arms tighter around his waist. He pulls into the parking lot of a building that says Linda's Ice Cream.

He shuts off the engine and climbs off, me following after him. He easily manages to take off his helmet, but I struggle. He leans his face in closer to mine and concentrates on helping to unbuckle my helmet, but all I can focus on is his breath on my lips.

He takes it off and sets it on one of the handles. "Lets go," he tells me and we head into the restaurant.

The inside of the building is pretty, the walls are a bright pink and the flooring is white tiles. Pictures are on the walls of families and ice cream.

Ashton walks up to the counter and a lady greets him, her name tag says Linda.

"Hello!" She smiles. She's gorgeous, with red hair styled into a pixie cut, her green eyes stand out, and she has a eyebrow ring.

"Um, hi." Ashton mutters, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I'll get mint." He turns to me. "Ella?"

"Cookie dough," I tell her. When I was little, my mother was always trying new recipes for dinner. Once she made cookie dough ice cream for dessert, I was hooked.

She nods and tells us we can sit at any one of the booths, and she heads into a different room.

Ashton directs us to a booth in the far corner. Linda comes over after a few minutes and hands us both a bowl of our ice cream. "If you need anything, let me know!" She smiles and walks away.

I dig in slowly, Ashton doing the same. It's quiet until I speak up. "When did you learn to ride a motercycle?"

"When I was fifteen," he tells me. I nod.

"Do you drive?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"Nope, but hopefully she will let me once she gets back. After what happened with my father, she's really anxious about me driving." I mumble the last sentence.

"What happened with your father?" He looks at me, and he appears sincere. What happened to the rude, obnoxious boy I've seen before?

I want to open up to him, and so I do. I tell him everything.

"In America, my dad got pissed at my mom." I start. "So he drove out to a bar and got wasted, he drank so much he couldn't see straight. And the asshole still decided to drive."

I take a spoonful of my ice cream before continuing, and I let out a deep breath. "He crashed into a car. The accident was his fault, and inside the other car was a mother and her three year old. The mother died," I tell him. "Apparently, the father had died while the lady was pregnant so the child ended up all alone."

I fight back the tears that are threatening to spill over, and I look up at him. "My father is in jail, he won't be getting out until I'm, like, 45.

Ashton doesn't say anything for a while. "I'm sorry," he finally says.

"Yeah," I say. "Please don't tell anyone."

"I won't," he assures me. He looks over at my empty bowl and at his, and then looks back up at me. "We should probably get back."

-

"Thank you," I tell Ashton. We walk up the steps to his trailer and stand outside the door.

"You could stay a while longer, y'know." He says. I shrug.

"If my mom comes home early I should be there." He nods.

"Bye, then." He looks down at me and the corner of his mouth lifts. I smile.

"Bye, Ash." I turn around and take the first step, but hesitate. I spin around quickly and reach out, placing my hands on Ashton's shoulders. I press my lips to his, lingering for a few seconds before pulling away. "Goodbye, Ashton." I smile.

He grins. "Goodbye, Ella."

-

I wrote this at school. ;)