28. Thank You.

Taerin's Pov.

I was falling, I felt that I was going to bash my head with the floor..Is it going to be fatal for me?

But hands wrapped around me as I winced out of fear. I felt a hand around my waist and one on my shoulder. I saw Seungcheol for a split second before a thud sound released.

I gasped for air, as we made eye contact with eachother. "A-Are you okay?" He hesitated, and I nodded. I couldn't believe that I saw him so close. I don't know why my heart was beating for this. Maybe I'm still scared.

I got up, lending a hand for him. And as he grabbed it he suddenly held his back, seemingly in pain. "Did you hurt your back because of me?" I crouched back down, holding his hand, whilst lifting him up so he could sit.

"I'm fine. No worries." He shook it off but I knew he was in pain.

"I'm sorry..!" I apologized as hard as I could, feeling extra terrible but he held my hand.

"I'm telling you. I'm fine!" He fixed my hair, getting up quickly but I saw him hesitate for a moment.

"Oh dear..Taerin-ah..You shouldn't make Seungcheol go all the way back home..!" Unnie giggled, seeing her face show a plotting one.

"I guess.." I noticed him reaching for his bag.

"No need. I'll just walk back." He opened the door as it just started pouring like a waterfall. The 2 of us blankly stared at the water.

"Unnie-" I turned back to her and saw her smirking and giggling to herself. "What are you laughing about?" I tilted my head and she shook her head.

"No I wasn't!" She pushed us out under the mini roof connected outside and she locked the café. "Anyways, I gotta go! Bye~!" She waved, just running out into the rain.

"Ah- Wait-!" But then she was gone like the sun. "I thought it was going to be sunny all day.." I groaned, figuring out how to cover myself from the rain.

"Come on.!" He suddenly stole my hand as we sprinted together. I could barely see anything but feel the warmth from his hand.

"Wait-!" My knee was acting up, I never ran in the rain! "Please..Wait!" I pulled him and we bashed into eachother.

"We're completely soaked now." He laughed. "Are you okay though?" He moved the hair away from my face.

"Yeah..Now I am. Sorry. I don't..run in the rain." I told him and he shook his head.

"You don' have to be sorry. I should be the one apologizing for not realizing." He said.

"We..can run again!" I exclaimed but he denied.

"I'd rather have you safe than all crumpled." He nudged me. But our hands were still intact. It made me feel at ease though. "Do you mind if I ask why you don't run in the rain?" He was still looking straight ahead.

______

Past.

"Taerin! Your left!" I heard my coach yell as I dribbled the ball. I went in for a drive but, I realized too late that it was the wrong move. "TAERIN! STOP!" But I was already doing the action as he kept screaming from the top of his lungs.

My knee was kicked inwards from someone's foot who tried to jump. It sent a shock to my whole body. I felt it through, in just a second. There was a moment of silence before I broke out in pain.

I kept gasping for air on my way to the hospital. They told me back then that it was from panic..And I guess so. But thing is, I had no guardian to come take care for me so my coach was the only one there for me. And he did stay by my side until I was better and as I went through multiple surgeries it wasn't the same anymore.

I once heard them speak outside as the door didn't shut fully. "Do you think she'll be the same after she discharges?"

"Sir, we cannot define that. But we have multiple cases like these, most have never even been able to walk the same with their leg or legs. Were lucky enough she can walk again."

I gripped on my blanket in anger.. "But will she be able to play?" I heard my coach ask once again.

"No. The injury done on her was severe that maybe even a hit on a table leg could break it again."

I heard him sigh as I felt like I had disappointed him. "Thank you." I heard the end, and he came back in. I had already been crying. "Taerin- Did you hear everything?." He approached me and sat down on the chair beside my bed.

"Yes." I simply replied, keeping my head low. "I'm sorry." I swallowed in.

"Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything wrong." He ruffled my hair.

"But I must've disappointed you." I wiped my eyes, looking at him.

"Yes I am disappointed but not in you." He lightly smiled at me, leaning back in his chair. "Just focus on getting better. We'll see what happens afterwards."

I agreed and every day I worked up until I was discharged from the hospital. I still had to continue the therapy for a few months but then I was able to walk as normal. My Dad was informed but he never even texted me.

"You know..I heard Taerin's Dad didn't even come back for her."

"Hasn't she grown up by herself?"

"Apparently her Mum left her when she was a child."

"Maybe that's why she's still so arrogant?"

Am I really arrogant?

I didn't get any trauma when I watched my teammates play basketball, but I couldn't bring myself to play sports like I used to. I sat on the sidelines watching them do their training. "Here we go!" The coach sat down beside me, using my left knee as assist. "That's not the knee right-?" He panicked.

"No. It's fine." I reassured him.