chapter 1 gem glow

"This can't be happening this has to be a dream!", Steven yelled, he was in his favourite store, the big donut but this time, he was here for a terrible surprise. "I'm sorry Steven, I guess they couldn't compete with other brands" sadie, a worker and friend of Steven said. They where speaking about Steven's favourite ice cream, cookie cat which had sadly stopped production. Steven looked on at the now empty special freezer for the cookie cats with so much sadness in his eyes he felt like he might even cry from just looking at it. "You know if you want, you can take the freezer home, how about that?" Sadie said, trying to cheer him up.

"You know it truly is a honour to have such a famous musician like yourself live here in beach city" mayor dewey said, he was the mayor of beach city, the place where steven and his family had recently moved to and he was speaking with Steven's father, former famous rock star, Greg universe. "I wonder, if you moving here would generate some income for this small place, like fans coming to get a sneak peak of THE mr universe", he continued, Greg just laughed this off, he didn't think he was that famous. While they where talking, Steven's mother watched on, dewey or Greg couldn't see her, she was hidden in a corner away from them and angrily listening in, she didn't like any random person talking to her dear Greg, she watched on, her entire body was covered in a blue robe, besides her glowing blue eyes. "Well, I think I must get going now, it was truly great to meet you here Mr universe", the mayor said, "no no, its nothing and please just call me greg" Greg replied back, shaking his hand and waving dewey away.

"So are we famous now?" Steven's mother said, coming out of the corner and giving Greg quite a serious look. "Well blue-blue, I was quite popular back in the old days, but I didn't expect a greeting like that" Greg said, laughing the whole situation off, but this scared her, she didn't like the thought of random people coming over to her home, she felt like she must always hide to strangers, and this made it seem more difficult. "I hope I don't have to deal with that again", she said, sitting down besides Greg and revealing her head that was covered over the long cloak, she had odd white hair that somehow connected in front of her chest. "You know, I wonder if, more people came over to greet you, would they be scared if they saw me?" She continued, giving Greg a worried and scared look, "I promise no one would be scared of you my dear blue-blue, you're adorable-" Greg said, before being cut off by the door frantically opening. It was Steven, looking very upset and carrying a mini, cat themed freezer on his back.

"And I went there and they told me they wouldn't be making them anymore!!!", Steven said, he was nearly on the verge of tears, telling his father the story, he was so upset by losing his favourite food forever. His mother walked back from him and gave him a smile, she clapped her hands, then a woman suddnely appeared from the top of the stairs and walked to the fridge, she directed Steven to look at her and suddenly opened the fridge, revealing the entire thing was filled with cookie cats. "Pearl!?! Mum!? Dad!?" Steven said, in shock and running to the fridge, "we also found out about the sad ending to your favourite food, my Steven" pearl said, she was the strange woman who had revealed this to him. "My diamond, your father and I, spent the entire day finding them" pearl continued, she had a very quiet voice, everything was said in a nearly sad sounding whiper. "Well pearl, it was mostly you who did it, me and Greg spent the day panicking and trying not to cry" his mother said, laughing but pearl never took any compliments, she quickly replied with "but my diamond, it was you who planned this and you shouldn't be thanking anyone for this, Steven should be thanking you".

"What should I do, should I start eating them now or save them??" Steven said, looking up to his very tall mother, she just smiled and said he could do what he wanted, pearl didn't seem to like that, eventhough she had blue hair that covered her eyes, Greg could tell she was giving Steven quite a dirty look under all that hair, thankfully blue didn't seem to notice, she was just enjoying how happy her son was to have his favourite food back. Steven quickly grabbed one of the cookie cats and took a big bite of it, pearl closed the fridge behind him and was still giving him a dirty look, "this is so good! I'm really going to miss these", Steven said, with his mouth full of chocolate and ice cream, pearl cringed but blue just smiled and said, "well maybe I'll try and find someway we can preserve them, for thousands of years!", Steven jumped up and down, so exited and begging his mother to actually do that, he knew she had all sorts of weird machines back home and could definitely keep cookie cats alive for thousands of years.

But suddenly, as he was jumping up and down he noticed, the gem on his chest, slightly revealed by the v-neck on his Mr universe t-shirt, started to glow, everyone else noticed to, becoming silent and just watching. Steven started to panic, looking at his mother for help, "WHAT DO I DO, WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!?", he yelled, "ok ok, just stay calm, this could be a lot of things", she said, trying to calm him down, he didn't listen he kept panicking and flailing his arms around. Then, a glowing handle started to pop out the gem, pearl and blue knew what it was immediately and got closer. "It-its your weapon!" Blue exclaimed proudly, "pull it out Steven!", Steven carefully obeyed her instruction and pulled out what became a giant, blue scythe. Greg looked like he was going to have a heart attack, pearl was just watching with a straight face but blue, she was overjoyed.

"So what do I do with this thingy" Steven said, slightly moving the scythe around, "be very careful, that thing has slain thousands of many different things and is very powerful, a boy as young as you wielding such a thing must be very careful", his mother lectured him, she rarely ever did this, in fact Steven wasn't sure if he even had any memories of her saying such things at all, "you must learn how to use this, and I believe I am the only one who could teach you",she said, moving steven to the basement door and revealing a old warp-pad "pearl come with me!", she yelled, pearl quickly followed her and steven to the warp pad, Greg just watched in confusion.

The three of them warped to korea, this Wasn't just a random place in Korea but a important spot where Greg and blue first met. Blue sent Steven and pearl to under a big tree and quickly followed after, Steven was still holding the huge scythe. "So what you have summoned here is your weapon" blue started, lightly touching the scythe, "all gems have weapons, well weapons isn't really the right name for it, some gems have armour they summon, or even wings! But we have this scythe!", Steven watched on, amazed at all the random info his mother would drop about gems, pearl just watched, making sure Steven was listening to his mother.

"Our scythe I believe, is one of the strongest of these gem weapons, the fact you have been able to summon it so easily is shocking, I didn't even know if you could do such a thing, especially so young but I'm proud you where," she went on, giving Steven a big smile "since you where able to Summon yours, I shall summon mine and give you a step by step instructional guide on how to do it!", she exclaimed, Steven loved this and jumped up and yelled "please do! Please do mum your so cool!" But during this, he dropped his scythe, and when it hit the ground it suddenly disappeared, this really scared Steven and he looked at his mother with very guilty eyes but she just smiled back and said "don't worry! I'll be covering and teaching everything!".

"To summon a weapon is quite easy, I've been doing it for so long I can basically just think it but for a starter like you, it may be a bit more difficult. First you got to feel energy from within your gem, our weapon is one that you pull out so is quite easy to summon, I Imagine it came from all the energy you felt from the cookie cat, sad it was gone, shock we got some for you and of course happiness from eating one. I guess all that energy was able to trigger it"- "MUM!!! I have a question" Steven interrupted, shocking his mother slightly and angering pearl, "can I just think about it?" He said, "yeah I guess but I don't know if you could since this just happened and the first time was so random" she replied, "awwww I wanna have a cool scythe again", Steven sighed, his gem started to glow again but he didn't notice,"I could be like a grim reaper! I just need a cool Cape, like you!" He continued, but quickly realised his mother and pearl where focused on his gem again and a bright blue light had covered all around them, he looked down and saw the handle of the scythe appeared again, "ITS THAT EASY!?" Steven yelled, pulling the scythe out again and celebrating that it had returned, "be careful with that My Steven!" Pearl said, while he jumped around and chopped grass with it, blue watched on, she was so proud of her son but this also caused many thoughts to appear in her mind, many worries about what he could possibly be capable of.