chapter 20 blue the selkie

As everyone congratulated Steven on defeating his first corruption he just stood there, angrily staring at his mother. "What's wrong? It's not dead don't worry", blue said, not knowing the real reason why he was so upset with her, only Connie knew and she definitely wasn't going to tell blue after seeing how quickly her emotions can change. "I think we should go home, this place isn't safe!" Greg said, picking up his chair and starting to walk back to the house, the silence was almost awkward as Greg slowly walked away, carrying the heavy chair.

"My Steven, do you agree with your father? I believe so too this sun might not be good for your skin", pearl said, touching Steven's shoulder and looking for signs of sunburn, he still didn't cheer up, he still just looked at his mother with hatred while blue was clueless. "Mum, can I speak with you.. in private", he finally said, his voice sounding filled with rage, blue agreed, telling pearl, lapis and Connie to go to their home and they'll meet them there later.

"Why are you playing dumb?", he asked, fighting the urge to let it all out and scream at her, "what do you mean!?", blue asked, she wasn't able to read his mind or hear anything when he was speaking with Connie. "Those monsters...YOU did this! YOU and the other diamonds turned them into THIS!", he yelled. Blue was shocked but didn't react, instead she became quite serious. "who told you that?", she asked him, raising an eyebrow, for once Steven had understood why so many gems feared her when she spoke in that tone, it instantly broke him, he immediately told her, without even thinking.

"Pearl....it was pearl, I made her show me it all!", he admitted. During this Connie secretly hid behind a rock, she didn't follow the other gems home and said she was just putting her dress back over her swimsuit as a excuse to stay and watch. "What did she tell you?", blue said, her tone was terrifying, like she already knew everything, and was going to hurt pearl. "She said...you and the others where so angry about pink dying you attacked the planet with something and it turned all the gems into those....things", he revealed, sounding defeated, "now please don't hurt pearl for this!" He pleaded, getting on his knees to beg.

"Why would I hurt my most loyal friend? You didn't get the full context, that's it", blue returned to a much kinder tone, and placed her hand on Steven's head, stroking his dark brown hair. " none of us knew what the attack would do, I myself was shocked when finding them in that state on earth, that's why I keep them bubbled, so one day, me and my family can free those innocent gems trapped on earth". As Connie watched a sudden feeling came over her and she burst into tears, she knew she was watching an emotional moment but these tears where so intense and random, it almost felt like someone was making her cry, she had to keep as quiet as possible to hide how loud the crying had caused her to become.

Steven quickly hugged his mother, "I'm so sorry, I wish I asked you before", he apologised, crying quietly into blue's chest as she tightly held him. "I understand Steven but now we must calm down! We don't want to make anymore people upset!", blue said, wiping away both their tears, when their crying stopped, Connie also suddnely calmed down too.

Blue and steven both stood up and acted like nothing happened and started to walk to their home to see the others. As Steven was putting his oversized dress pants over his swimtrunks he saw Connie hiding behind a rock. "CONNIE!? you where here the entire time!?", he gasped, running back to blue to tell her, Connie quickly ran out her hiding place and nervously explained she was just getting dressed. "No guys wait I can explain!" She yelled, running to blue, but she just laughed at the entire situation. "Oh my miss maheswaran! I was wondering why I didn't see you walk back with pearl and lapis!" Blue joked, Connie blushed from embarrassment and quickly apologised.

"So are you coming to my house for a bit or going home?" Steven asked Connie, trying to change the subject from the fact she was just stalking him in a very important moment with his mother. "I like spending time with you guys, you and blue diamond are....my only friends", she admitted,sounding sad. "How sad miss maheswaran", blue said, giving back her glasses and hat she had been holding or wearing for what seemed like forever. "You're a lovely girl, I'm shocked you don't have a lot of friends", blue said, Connie blushed at this, "thanks blue..", she quietly replied.

Steven, Connie and blue spent a while at the beach, just talking, Connie mostly wanted to ask about all of blue and Steven's powers, she kept looking at the matching blue gem on Steven and his mother's chests and asking them things about it. "What's your coolest power!", she excitedly asked blue, blue smirked at Connie and winked, "Watch this", she said, walking to the ocean, suddnely as blue got into the water, her entire form changed and out from the ocean, a large blue seal with droopy eyes appeared. "Shape-shifting! I gotta learn to get better at that!", Steven said, "shape-shifting!? You guys can do that!?" Connie asked, shocked as she watched blue diamond swimming around in the ocean as a chubby seal, "all gems can do it!", blue said, still in her seal form, slowly coming onto land, "steven can do it a bit, but it can be exhausting", she pointed her seal fin at steven, he then turned his finger into a mini seal then back to normal to show his shape-shifting powers.

"Us diamonds can do special shape-shifting no other gems can", blue explained, it was kinda difficult to take her serious as cute fat seal, "normal gems still keep their colours and cannot change or move their gem at all but we diamonds can!". Blue then, realising Connie wasn't taking the cute seal serious changed form again, she turned the top of her body into her regular form but kept the fish like bottom, becoming a weird blue mermaid-like creature. "Connie, it's getting kinda late, maybe you should go come, your parents are kinda strict, and I can't fly you home this time sadly", blue said, getting back into the water as a mermaid, Connie panicked and quickly grabbed her things and ran off, thanking blue for the reminder, Steven was kinda upset he couldn't properly say goodbye but was happy just staying with his mother.

"Why couldn't you fly her back?" Steven asked blue, putting on his dark blue shirt with a yellow star in the middle, it was his favourite shirt, he even cut a bit of the top to reveal his gem but, because of Connie constantly asking about his gem and the threat of the crystal gems, he had the sudden urge to want to hide his gem. "I gotta do selkie things", blue replied, turning back into a seal, and swimming into the ocean, leaving Steven to walk home on his own.

As he got home it was late. Lapis, pearl and Greg where all nervously waiting for him. As he opened the door everyone breathed a sigh of relief. "Where is my diamond?" Pearl asked, looking out the window to see any sign of her. "She said she had to do something with the ocean and shape-shifted into a seal", Steven said, quickly walking to his room to get ready for bed as he was so tired from today. "A seal?", lapis asked, "she must've gone to see her selkie friends she'll be back tomorrow morning", Greg said, pearl nodded and walked away while lapis stayed there shocked and confused, not knowing what anything Greg said meant.