chapter 55 inside durgy

"You seem to have completely healed!", blue diamond said, she was checking up on Steven's cuts that he had endured from his attack at the kindergarten. "They're all gone?", Steven asked, looking at himself in the mirror, "seems so", blue replied, looking closely at his arms and chest again, "seems you can regenerate, that's good, I wonder what else you can heal". Steven looked down at his gem, it was huge but according to his mother it was much bigger than what he can see on the outside and was in fact deep inside him, "mum?", he asked, "Is there anyway I can make my gem smaller?", blue shook her head, "no, you can hide it inside a bit more, I used to do that but it's quite uncomfortable, why do you ask?", "it's just..", he looked away from his mother for a second, worried about how she'll react to what he's about to say, "it's so big, I barely have a bellybutton! And everyone will look at it!".

"Where has all this come from!?", blue replied, her voice filled with worry, "has a human seen your gem and been afraid? Or mocked you for it?", Steven shook his head, "well Connie keeps asking me about it and that kinda makes me feel weird and My dad thinks it's weird, he says it reminds him too much of you", blue raised an eyebrow, "he said what?", he tone quickly changed to one of anger. "Erm..he probably doesn't mean it in a bad way its just because you know, you're a gem and..", Steven studdered, when blue's voice became serious and she stared down at him it always made him become so nervous. "I'll speak to him about this, I believe you'll be able to tell Connie how she makes you feel", blue said, walking away, Steven noticed her hands where fists when she walked out, he feared he made her angry.

"Today's really been a day! I got attacked by a monster!", Steven told durgy, durgy now spent most her time in Steven's room and always slept in the corner or right next to his bed, Greg hated this but durgy only left Steven's side if blue asked her to. He put his pyjamas on and got ready for sleep, "Hey durgy, I think I might've upset my mum today, you're her close friend and pet how could I make her happy?", durgy tilted her head and looked down at him, usually Steven and his mother could talk to animals but durgy was usually silent around him. "You've got no advice? Maybe I'll ask pearl or My dad..", he mumbled, slowly falling alseep as durgy watched him.

When steven awoke his head was popping out of some sort of field of fur, he recognised where he was straight away, it was inside durgy's fur, he remembered when he first met her he was able to stick his hands and head into her fur. "Wait a minute", Steven thought, looking around the field of fur which lead to a small island, "if I'm inside durgy, does that mean she's laying on my face!?". "GET OF HIM YOU STUPID TIGER!", pearl screeched, trying to pull durgy of steven, she was asleep, right on his face, after a couple pushes and screams she was finally able to push the big blue tiger off. "My steven are you alright!?", pearl asked him, "yeah, well if I had lungs i probably would've suffocated", Steven joked. "What are you doing durgy!?", pearl cried, pushing her away from the bed, "I will tell blue diamond about this!", "wait!", Steven cried, rushing in between them both, "what if durgy was trying to tell me something!", "my Steven you can be serio-", "come on pearl! Let me try and talk to her!".

Steven Knelt down and durgy copied him, they both looked into eachothers eyes, "my mum said she got you from India right? So you might be a bengal tiger right?", Steven asked, durgy didn't answer, just kept staring, "so do you speak the bengali dialect of tiger language? Can I try and speak to you in it?", durgy still didn't react, Steven tried some raws and greetings but it didn't work. "Fine", Steven huffed, "maybe the answer is just inside your fur, he took some steps back then dashed to durgy and jumped into her fur, pearl tried to drag him out but quickly lost him, "my Steven!?", she cried, moving her hands through the fur, but her hands didn't go through, durgy loudly growled at her and pearl ran to tell blue diamond.

This time, Steven was fully able to walk through the fur fields and climb up to the small island, as he looked around he could see other islands in the distance. The island had a large tree on it that took up most of its space, there where 3 boxes under the tree, the first one was filled with Mr universe shirts in many colours, "is this my mum's merch collection?", Steven thought, the 2nd box had a map or ireland with the northern part crossed out, and the 3rd box had a blue jacket in it, on the jacket was a envelope, "for steven", was written on it. Steven looked around before taking it and opening it, inside was a letter from blue diamond, it read:

"To my dear son/daughter Steven/saoirse

Right now, I am writing this at a time before you are born, right now I do not know if the both of us can exist at the same time, I fear everyday I may never see you, but even if I cannot I have left you so many gifts to show you that even if I'm not here I still love you and always will. Me and pearl made this jacket a lot time ago, I used to wear it when I was very young, I think you'd look very nice wearing it, please take it as a gift from your mother.

Thank you, from blue diamond"

Steven picked up the jacket and put it on, it was way to big for him now, it would fit him better in a couple years, he read the card again as he wore it, it made him feel so emotional, he fought back tears as he put the jacket back in the box and the card back in the envelope over it, "I'll wear that in a couple years", he thought. He looked behind the tree and saw a framed photo, it was very big and black and white, Steven had to get to the edge of the island to look at it fully. The photo showed a family, a mother, dressed like a maid, a father, dressed like a farmer, and two children, a older son and a younger daughter, "that girl kinda looks like mum", steven thought.

As Steven was about to leave and jump back into the fur, he nearly tripped up on something on the floor, it was a tape! Steven picked it up and looked at the writing on it, "song of the sea, for steven/saoirse", it read, Steven hid it in his pocket, "ill keep this", he thought and Finally jumped out the fur.

On the outside he was met by pearl looking like she was about to faint and being held up by lapis, "oh steven, youre back..", she said, out of breath, while lapis, laid her down on Steven's bed. holly blue was praising blue diamond, who wasn't listening at all, amethyst was eating a chicken nugget and blue was smiling at him. "So what was it like in there?" Blue asked him, "it was very, blue and there was lots of fur", Steven awkwardly replied, trying to hide what he had seen. "I thought you died in there Steven, I'm so happy you're back", pearl cried, "she's been screaming ever since you got stuck in there", lapis said, "oh pearl I'm so sorry I worried you!", Steven hugged pearl and apologised profusely.

"So what was, all of that?" Amethyst asked, "I don't really know, it seems durgy has a dimension in her fur my mum keeps stuff in?", Steven replied, "you can use it too you know", blue said, "durgy seems to like you and I won't mind, all the stuff there is from before you where born anyway, a lot of it is cringe, like back when I was paranoid about dying during childbirth", this made Steven remember the letter, he tried to hide his expression on his face, but it is impossible to hide such things to someone capable of reading minds. "The letters are cringe, but the best thing there is my movie, its the tape, song of the sea, maybe you and Connie can go and watch it as a date!", blue joked, walking out the room, all the other gems followed after her.

When everyone left, Steven took the tape out of his pocket and looked at it, durgy stared back at him, "don't tell mum I have this!", he whispered to durgy, who nodded then fell asleep right after.