Chapter 3

The minute we stepped outside, screams erupted and lights flashed so intensely in our direction

The minute we stepped outside, screams erupted and lights flashed so intensely in our direction. I hid my face in Chan's back and kept my head down like they had told me to. He gripped my hand tightly as we moved forward in little steps towards the bus.

While looking at the ground, I couldn't see much. I couldn't even tell who I was near, but Felix whispered to me, so I knew that he was to the right of me.

"We're almost there," Felix had muttered.

Chan squeezed my hand tighter as the pathway became more narrow the closer we got to the bus. It funneled into the door and Chan knocked to get the driver to open it.

He stepped inside, and I walked up the stairs behind him, still keeping my head down. He dropped my hand immediately as if it had pained him to hold it in the first place.

"Why are you still looking down?" he asked. I partially raised my head, and he rolled his eyes as he sat down on the bench that extended along the sides of the front half of the bus. In the back were bunks and a bathroom. Above the bench, numerous shelves housed snacks and games.

"Hello?" he snapped.

"Sorry, I—I thought they could see me through the windows."

"Well, they can't," he replied snarkily. "So sit."

I sat on the bench across from him, and Felix sat beside me. The rest of the members filed on and seemed disinterested by my presence.

"Will we have to do that again at the hotel?" I whispered to Felix. He was the only one who didn't seem to mind my being here.

"Yes, but it's never as bad at the hotel."

I shook my head in awe of them. I couldn't imagine doing this every day.

"Why metallic cowboy boots?" Chan suddenly asked.

"Why lifted Converse?" I shrugged.

"Because he's short," Seungmin piped up beside me.

Chan folded his arms in annoyance and glared at him.

"I like them," Hyunjin complimented. Being complimented on fashion by Hyunjin was like being given a 5-star food review by Gordon Ramsay. I smiled in response and was too speechless to even remember how to thank him verbally.

Han appeared from his bunk with an iPad and handed it to Chan. He read whatever was on the screen and stared up at me in amusement.

"I'm your bias?" he chuckled.

My face flushed, and I sunk into the chair wishing that I could hide or turn invisible.

"Be nice, Chan," Felix warned.

"You're 27?" he asked.

"She's half 54," Seungmin joked and Chan scowled at him. My stomach fell, and I felt awkward as Chan continued to read the form. I covered my face with my hands.