Chapter 18

The person got on and pressed the button for the top floor where they had a pool

The person got on and pressed the button for the top floor where they had a pool. The tension between Chan and I was palpable and I turned away from him only for him to wrap his arms around me again.

His fingers lightly traced over my hands, and I felt like I could've exploded from how intense the gentlest of touches felt. Everywhere his finger traced left a trail of fire in its wake.

My heart was pounding in my chest. Chan released me but continued to hold my hand as we neared our floor.

I imagined how we must've looked to the STAY watching the cameras and felt queasy. Would they judge me for PDA? Could they hear us too or could they only see?

The door opened and Chan led me to our room. Suddenly the idea of being in an enclosed space with him made me afraid.

What would STAY think we were doing in the room? What would Chan expect of me? How would he react if I wouldn't go very far? Did he even want that from me?

He held the door open for me, but I took a step back.

"Aren't you coming in?" he asked with a laugh.

"I...I left my phone downstairs," I lied and took off down the hall towards the stairway.

"Ella," Chan called after me, but I was already gone.

On the walk down the many, many flights of stairs, I began to feel stupid for running. I should've just gone in, taken a shower, and cooled off there.

I made it to the lobby and Dmitri noticed me without Chan. I waved, and he gave me a look of concern. I responded with a smile so that he'd know I was okay. He returned to eating but glanced at me now and again as I sat in the same seat I had earlier.

The breakfast bar was pretty empty and quiet. So quiet that I could hear the steps on the boardwalk outside.

"Is this seat taken?" someone asked and I whipped around to see the man from yesterday.

His face was bruised, and he had cuts along his cheek and forehead. Chan had definitely won that fight.

"Go away," I demanded.

"I'm not going anywhere. Your friend beat the shit out of me yesterday. Out of the kindness of my heart, I didn't call the cops. The least you can do," he put his hand on my thigh again, "is give me a little incentive to not sue him."

I felt like I could throw up.

"Don't touch me," I shoved his shoulder but he pushed me back and I fell off the chair and onto my side. My ankle got caught in the stool. I cried out in pain and Dmitri sprinted over and restrained him against the counter.