Chapter 6

The next day, I debated whether or not I should go

The next day, I debated whether or not I should go. Maybe the cost of the phone would be worth my pride. After all, there was only so much rudeness a person could take before it affected them.

But my curiosity got the best of me. I put bubble braids in my hair and straightened the rest of it. I didn't add the gems but did add some sparkle.

I didn't want to dress up for them, but I wanted to look like a regular concertgoer...even if my outfit was a little obscure for a K-pop show.

I headed to the venue on foot. It was only ten minutes away and the sun was warm on my skin. When I arrived with my paper ticket courtesy of Felix, I was surprised to see that my outfit didn't stand out at all.

Dozens of other women had on metallic boots with denim skirts. Most had on Stray Kids hoodies, too. I was surprised at the coincidence and noticed a few people were taking pictures of my outfit again. I figured they must have liked it a lot if it was standing out even when others had on something similar.

I found my seat in the lower bowl again. I was sitting in a similar place to where I had last time. I noticed someone pointed at me, and I hid my face behind my hair. I wished I had my phone to see if my lipstick was messed up or something.

Luckily the lights went down and the intro to Megaverse began. Just like yesterday, the show was amazing. Their performance was so intricate but left room for silliness and spontaneity.

I could have sworn that Felix smiled at me a few times, but I chose not to feed into my delusions. He wasn't my friend. He was just a nice person helping me to get my phone back.

The intermission came and people pulled out their phones to submit the form for the prize. I headed up to grab a water instead and was surprised when heads turned as I walked up the stairs as if everyone was talking about me.

I boiled it down to my social anxiety through. There was no way that was true. I just wasn't used to being alone in crowds.

I missed both Maniac and Venom while in line for a water. They were severely understaffed, and I tried my best to be kind to them when I got to the front, especially since the dad in front of me had complained about the wait and was overall quite unpleasant.

I started to make my way to my seat again and Red Lights began playing. I walked down the stairs and Chan was on his knees finishing his verse when he looked my way.

My legs nearly buckled under his glare, and he skipped his last line as his eyes scanned over my body. I remembered that I'd worn the boots specifically as a "fuck you" to him and smirked.

His eyes met mine again and his gaze became even more intense as he continued the song. Even as I walked down the stairs, his eyes never left me. My heart pounded in my chest, and I felt butterflies under his stare.

He's mean. He made fun of you. I reminded myself. But it was hard to remember how horrible he had been when he looked at me like that while performing this song.

Just as I was about to crumble, the song ended. His face tightened, and he walked off to whisper something to Felix.

I wondered if the people around me had noticed him watching me or if they would think I was delusional and imagining it. Maybe they thought he was looking at one of them instead.

"Now time to announce our winner of the prize!" Felix smiled as the intro to Charmer played in the background. The audience cheered and people around me seemed excited to find out whether they had won.

I noticed Chan's jaw tighten.

"Hyunjin, care to do the honors?" Hyunjin pretended like he was considering it.

"Actually, let's have Chan announce it tonight," he laughed and began encouraging the audience to clap for him.

Chan scowled but replaced it quickly with a fake smile. "Thanks, Hyunjin!" he said happily, but I saw through it. He was pissed.

Hyunjin handed Chan the envelope which, I had no doubt, contained my seat number. He read the numbers and looked up at me. His eyes were blazing and my skin felt like it was on fire.

"Section 21," he began and my section lit up.

He pursed his lips. "Row 2."

My row remained lit.

Before Chan could read my seat number, though, shouted complaints erupted throughout the arena.

"She won last time!"

"This is rigged!"

"Slut!"

Someone behind me pushed me, and I nearly fell into the row in front of me. The person there spat in my drink.

"She probably fucked him for another prize!" someone near me shouted.

I turned to leave as I began to cry. I wasn't going to be treated like this.

People threw popcorn at me as I made the ascent up the cement steps. Chan hadn't spoken and watched as I was humiliated by everyone.

"Help her," I heard Felix say to someone. I turned around to see Chan still frozen, and Felix was pointing at a guard who was coming to my rescue.

He moved as quickly as he could, but someone from the Club level above me poured their water onto me, and I was drenched. People around me laughed and pointed. Many were recording.

I ran outside to wait for the guard near the concessions instead.

"Are you okay?" he asked when he finally made it to me.

I held myself together and nodded with my head held high.

"Felix asked me to bring you backstage."

"I can't walk back in there," I argued. I didn't want to risk someone pushing me down the stairs. I didn't even understand why everyone was so mad. I hadn't done anything.

"We'll take the back way," he informed me with a genuine smile.

"16," Chan finally said.

It wasn't my seat number...