Chapter 17

I woke up again a couple of hours later and quietly dressed for a run

I woke up again a couple of hours later and quietly dressed for a run. I was tying my shoes when Chan rolled over and asked where I was going.

"I like to run in the mornings," I told him.

"By yourself?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "It's just a few miles. I'll be back in half an hour."

I stood up and Chan beat me to the door to block my way out.

"Can I come?"

"You run?" I asked. He seemed more like the weightlifting type.

"Not really," he smiled.

"Won't we have to bring security?"

"You'll have to bring security anyway now that people have hacked our cameras and know your routine."

The reminder that I was being watched constantly made me unsettled.

"Okay, get dressed," I invited. He texted one of the guards to be ready and threw on a pair of shoes since he'd slept in athletic wear.

"How far are we going?" he asked once we were in the elevator.

"Just 5k." I was going to do the same route as last time, or as close to it as I could remember.

"Just?" he laughed, and then we were on our way.

Even though I ran nearly every day, Chan easily kept up with me. The guard followed behind us at a close but respectful distance. He was also dressed in athletic clothes, though I couldn't help but wish he was in a full suit with shades on like a Secret Service member because seeing him run in that would've been funny.

We made it to the Capitol Building and Chan took a photo of it just like I had yesterday. He then handed his phone to Dmitri.

"Come on," he waved me over.

"What?" I laughed.

"Get in the picture!"

"No, you go ahead. I'm all sweaty."

"I am too," he grinned. "Please?" He pouted at me, and I caved as I went to stand beside him.

He put his arm around my side, and I put mine behind him as well and smiled. Dmitri took the photo, and Chan went to review it.

He tsked at whatever he saw and said something to Dmitri before he came back. "We didn't look coupley enough," he explained.

"Maybe it's because," I started and then moved closer to whisper, "we're not actually a couple."

"We can pretend better than that though," he argued. He put his arms around from behind me, and I placed my hands over his because it was what I felt like I was supposed to do.

Chan rocked us from side to side and I laughed when he lifted me off of the ground to carry me over to see the pictures.

Apparently, he'd told Dmitri to just press the photo button non-stop because in the few minutes we had been posing, he'd racked up a couple hundred photos.