Chapter 38

When we got to the hotel, I was instructed to look as upset as possible while Chan consoled me

When we got to the hotel, I was instructed to look as upset as possible while Chan consoled me. We were to walk out first and not stop for anyone.

Lee Know and Han were going to come in behind us side by side and the others would file behind them. Han and Lee Know were supposed to keep apart in public, so this was their own personal fuck you to JYP.

The doors opened and the shouting was angrier than usual. I didn't even have to pretend to be upset as I cowered into Chan to protect me.

"Liar!" they shouted.

"Slut!" they yelled, their voices were an angry swarm attacking me from every which way. They pleaded with Chan to save himself. He ignored them.

"You're okay," Chan whispered to me and kissed my forehead. They booed when he did so.

I kept my face concealed in his chest until we were inside. The others followed us and came to check on me. I was so tired of feeling weak.

I threw a glance in Chan's direction. He was staring out at the fans who were still shouting. They had signs of my face with an x over it.

I walked forward towards the doors. They grew even louder. I worried that they'd break the barricade and storm inside.

"Chan?" I begged and held out my hand.

He joined me, and we watched them together. It made me so angry that they just agreed with the article at face value. It pissed me off that JYP had the power to control the narrative no matter how sensitive the issue. I needed to fight it. I put my hand on the door handle.

"I need to tell them something."

He nodded and stepped back outside with me.

I absorbed the profanities and hate.

"Quiet!" he shouted at them, and the crowd hushed immediately.

I looked around at their angry faces. Not one held even an ounce of sympathy for me.

I stepped forward, so I could be closer to the center and someone spat at me.

Chan lunged forward trying to identify who had done it.

"It's okay," I held him back. They all waited to see what I would say or do. Most had their phones out and were recording me. Whatever I said or did would live online forever. I had to choose my words carefully.

"You all seem to have read the article today," I began.

The crowd began booing me again, but Chan hushed them. I turned back and saw the other guys watching from the doorway. Dmitri was standing right behind us ready to protect us if needed.

"I would like to make it clear that the narrative being spread is not true."

A few people shouted, but the crowd hushed them before Chan needed to.