Chapter 41

Chan's eyes met mine as he hovered over me

Chan's eyes met mine as he hovered over me. Time felt like it had slowed down. He scanned my face for injuries, and I worked on keeping myself calm. His hand came up and cupped my cheek as if he was in shock that I was okay.

He'd saved me. I couldn't breathe. Every part of me was terrified. Someone had tried to kill me, but he'd saved me.

There was shattered glass everywhere. The others were huddled below the windows so that they could be out of sight.

Someone shouted for the guards.

Chan and I didn't move. I didn't want him to. With him on top of me, I felt safe. I put my hands on the top of his head to keep him safe as well.

The guards' heavy footsteps could be heard down the hall, and they soon flooded the room. They each had guns drawn and looked out the window. One of them informed us that the shooter must've been watching us from the parking garage across the street, but they were gone now.

They were gone now.

It wasn't until we heard that sentence that Chan and I finally unfroze. I didn't know whether to be relieved or more afraid. They had gotten away.

The police arrived, and we all explained what had happened. None of us had seen anyone. We had heard the shot. Hid. It broke the window. We waited for the guards.

In the wall where the light switch was, they found the bullet hole chest height. It would've killed me. Chan's face went white when the cop said that.

He hadn't let go of me for even a second as I spoke with the police, or when it was his turn, or when we finally decided to go back to our room. He'd peeked out of the blinds anxiously but saw no one and no place high enough for a person to spy on us in here.

Still, he pulled one of the mattresses off and onto the floor between the two beds.

"Just in case," he explained as he fixed the sheets.

We got ready for bed, and I could tell something was off. Something more than just my near-death experience. He had barely looked at me...had barely spoken to me.

We got settled, and I lay on his chest as he wrapped an arm around me.

"I'm sorry," he apologized through tears. I looked up and his cheeks were wet, his face contorted in pain.

"You saved me," I reminded him as I wiped the tears away.

"They only tried to kill you because you're with me. It's my fault," he sobbed.

"Chan, I'm okay. Besides, we're in Florida. It could've just been a stray bullet," I tried to play it off.

"There was a laser sight," he reminded me. "They had it aimed at you."

Okay. So maybe it wasn't a stray bullet.

"Well, I'm sure you guys deal with this stuff all of the time. Right?"