Chapter 29

Chan looked at me in shock, but I just nodded in reassurance

Chan looked at me in shock, but I just nodded in reassurance. The bus doors opened before I could say anything more, and I took the first step down. He followed and then took over, leading us through the crowd. This time, we took our time with the fans. I was charismatic and kind. Chan stopped to talk and take selfies with them. Some fans asked to include me, so I smiled and played the part.

We had to be 100% perfect for JYP. The fan walk took five times as long as usual. When we got inside, my phone chimed. Fans had already recognized my sweater, and I showed the tweets to Chan. He smiled softly, but it faded as he walked us forward towards the stage for soundcheck. JYP wasn't there though.

Chan and the others readied themselves to do their mic checks and headed out onto the stage. I waited in the wings, scanning the arena for JYP who I was sure must be seated somewhere.

"You must be Ella."

I nearly jumped as I turned around. JYP was standing so close to me that my skin crawled. I wanted to shout criticisms at him for what he'd done and forced them to do. But that wasn't how we'd win. It wasn't how I'd get to stay.

I held my hand out to him. "Yes, that's me." I managed the most genuine smile I could muster, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's such a shame that Chris didn't give me the chance to introduce myself sooner. I would hate for you to think I've been neglecting to do so on purpose."

"Chan," I emphasized, seizing the opportunity to best him in something, "has been quite busy with the tour. I'm sure he didn't mean to wait so long."

He noticed. His nostrils flared as he attempted to hide his discontent at my power play.

"How was your flight," I asked sweetly.

"It was great, thank you for asking."

"Of course," I gleamed. I was being perfectly polite. I stood tall and with confidence. I looked out to the stage.  Chan had noticed us. He was making his way over quickly but without seeming rushed. He even stopped to hand his mic to Han.

I reached for his hand once I was close enough. I needed the comfortability of him.

"JYP," Chan bowed. "How was your flight?"

"It went well, thank you," he turned to look at me, "I was just getting to know Ella."

"I see that," Chan squeezed my hand. I could tell he was nervous.

"I think the three of us should have a chat."

Without waiting for a response, he started off down the hallway. Chan and I followed after him, and I glanced back to see the others huddled at the stage entrance. They whispered among each other as we disappeared from view. Lee Know gave us a thumbs up, wishing us luck.

He led us to a modest dressing room that was not unlike the others I'd been in. Chan and I sat on fold-out chairs across from him. JYP had his legs crossed to support a large binder that he had on his lap.