9

Part of me wanted to be upset about whatever it is that Nova was hiding– actually part of me is upset.

I understand that all of this is purely business, but it's hard to leave it like that when the main focus of my job revolves around her.

I wanted– no i needed to know what was so complicated that she couldn't tell me. I deserve to know the reason behind me doing this job.

What if they had me cooking food for 100 guests and secretly poisoned it? Or what if they put marbles in all of the dishes and everyone chokes and dies, or worse— what if the ingredients they gave me were infected and leads to a zombie apocalypse and im the cause for a worldwide outbrea-

"Are you okay?" Nova asked, tearing her gaze away from the road ahead to look at me.

I furrowed my brows and continued to keep my head propped against the window.

"Answer me Mariah-"

"Yeah I'm fine." I cut her off, answering dryly as the light turned green.

"Mariah you know-"

"Yeah I understand, it's whatever, okay it doesn't matter anymore." I said, keeping my gaze on the tinted window beside me. And from my peripheral, I swear I saw Nova's jaw tighten.

Like she was restraining from saying something.

The car ride continued on completely silent as
we passed by numerous cars, places, and people.

She never told me where she was taking me, and right now the only place I wanted to go was home.

I halted my thoughts when the car suddenly turned into a parking structure, gaps of sunlight bleeding onto the parked cars lined next to each other. Was this a mall? The parking structure seemed very packed, as we passed the multitude of cars.

Eventually Nova found a park on what seemed to be the third level, with everything they had I was surprised she didn't get a valet driver or something.

As the car came to a stop, the engine cut off. Nova unbuckled her seatbelt, and got out of the car.

I wish I used all that time to google how to actually open the door in one of these things, considering this was the third time. I unbuckled my seat belt and slightly narrowed my eyes when the sunlight entered the car. I turned my head to look in the direction of the door, and Nova had opened it for me again.

"Can you just show me how to open the door?" I asked her stepping out of the car.

"What's wrong with me opening it for you?" She asked while closing the door and pressing the button on the key to lock the car.

"I just think it would be more efficient for me to open it." I rebuttaled walking next to her toward the unfamiliar building.

"I don't mind taking the time to." She declared, as she opened the building door for me.

I instantly felt butterflies swirl in my stomach, and as the cold air from the parking structure left my face I immediately felt hot. We walked down the dimly lit hallway until we reached some black double doors.

"You took me to a drug deal or something?" I questioned turning away from the door to face her. She slightly chuckled and turned to open the door.

"Even worse." She smirked while pulling the black door open.

I don't know what else I was expecting, but it was not an arcade.

I looked around the dark interior lit up by various neon colors and the light emitting from the arcade machines. I stepped into the arcade and my shoes were met with the colorful patterned carpet, that was tinted from the neon lights.