40

As the sound of the far from peaceful alarm chimes filled the room I found myself dreading the fact that I didn't go to sleep earlier.

I turned off the alarm in less than a second, hating the sound completely. I checked the time displayed on my lock screen making sure that it wasn't actually two am and that I had more time to sleep.

But when my hopes fell short a sigh left my lips.

I got out of bed completely, grabbing my phone and heading to the bathroom to do my morning routine half-asleep.

Once I finished everything, I exited the spacious bathroom back into Nova's room to announce my departure.

"Good morning, I was–"

I cut myself short when I turned to face her bed, noticing that she wasn't there at all. It wasn't like she just left either, her side was completely made up compared to mine.

Confusion continued to grow around me when I began wondering when she left.

I gathered everything I would need today from my belongings and headed out her room, assuming that whatever she was gone for had to be mafia related.

I exited the room shutting the door behind me and as I was beginning to head out I noticed something from the corner of my eye.

Which of course happened to be Nova in her living room.

I walked deeper into the level until I made it to the couch she was on, "Good morning." I said leaning down to press a kiss to her lips.

Nova hummed, easily reciprocating the short kiss before responding, "Good morning. You hungry?" she questioned.

I shook my head, sitting down next to her, "I have work to do," I glanced at her macbook, "What are you up to?"

"Work stuff." she replied.

"Is it work stuff or Donovan stuff?" I questioned, knowing that she was "researching" last night.

"Same thing." she shrugged, and I lightly shut her computer.

"How long have you been up?" I questioned slightly leaning over to her.

"Since five...." she trailed off, averting her full attention to me.

"Nova..."

"I know— this is just... really weird." she admitted.

And as someone whose had one conversation with Donovan, she's probably right. I've never met her brother up until twenty four hours ago.

But from what I've seen and from what I've heard- Donovan seemed genuine.

"Nobody in your family has seen him in six years correct?" I asked to which she nodded her head.

"All I'm saying is... he could be different, just give it a shot. You both obviously have unspoken problems, so just try and work it out." I suggested. "Because you surviving off five hours of sleep is not a good thing." I added.

"There's nothing wrong with five hours." She said and I couldn't help but think if that much time was normal to her.

Wouldn't they need to wake up early?

"You need a full night's rest in order for your face to heal, did you forget?" I questioned analyzing her face which seemed to be getting better.

"Yes ma'am." she jokingly saluted me, "My parents are throwing Donovan a welcome back masquerade party, would you be so kind and accompany me?"

And as soon as the words came out her mouth I realized—

They throw a lot of parties.

I narrowed my eyes at her with a slight smirk forming on my face, "Is the Casanova Casper asking me to go to a masquerade with her?!" A dramatic gasp left my lips.