11

I had completely stopped everything I was doing.

I was standing in the middle of the aisle and my heart had plummeted to the floor, maybe even to the earth's core.

This whole thing was a mafia?!

Everything was starting to click now, from the black SUV's everywhere to the huge estate filled with the suited workers. I was hired by a mafia,
"I say this with an eager and excited heart that I will no longer be operating, instead my daughter, Nova Casper, will be taking my place from now on." and Nova was going to be the leader.

The realization alone made my hands start to shake.

"Mariah-" Nova said, reaching toward me.

"Don't touch me." My voice was shaky and completely unrecognizable. I quickly began pushing the basket toward the checkout lane. I needed to go home

I needed to get away from here.

As I approached the checkout lane I placed the items on the conveyor belt as fast as I possibly could.

"Did you find everything okay today?" The worker asked, beginning to scan the items.

I hummed and nodded my head in response.

Once the worker was done scanning everything I walked to the end of the conveyer belt and began bagging the items.

"That would be-" Everything suddenly sounded drowned out and muffled as I shakily put all the bags in the basket.

This had to be one big joke, right? This couldn't be real.

I glanced toward the worker who was beginning to scan the items from the person behind us and I took that as a cue to walk toward the exit.

I needed to get as far away from Nova as possible I needed to get as far away from this place as possible.

I pushed the basket out of the store and walked toward Nova's car. The only thing I could hear was my thoughts, and even with that the silence was still loud.

This was a lot to take in at once and I didnt know how to feel, I just needed to go home.

I quickly took the bags out of the basket and pushed it into the basket return area. Continuing to walk in the direction of the car.

I speedily carried the bags to the car, continuing to shake. I couldn't stop the thoughts from flooding my mind, has Nova killed somebody? What happened to the guy from the other night?What were they planning-

"Mariah," Nova said, grabbing my wrist and turning me around. Her gaze was soft and brows were furrowed, like she felt bad for me. And the thought of her caring about me seemed to make the tears flow.

"Nova, please don't touch me right now." I told her, my voice completely broken as the warm tears trailed down my face. Soon enough Nova let go of my wrist and took the grocery bags out of my hands.

I walked to the car door eager to get in. The tears flowing heavier as I remembered that she still didn't show me how to open the door. She put the groceries in the trunk and walked over to my side to open the door.

I stepped in and sat down and the door closed shortly after.

Nova entered on the driver side, started the car and began heading back to the estate.

I propped my head against the tinted window and waited for this nightmare to be over.

Once we got back to the estate I rushed past the workers on the first floor to the elevator, I had to get to my room as soon as possible.