39

I wiped off the stove and tucked the last pan away in the cabinet, feeling completely drained from today.

Almost everything was hurting from constantly standing for five hours and I was so ready to get in the shower and go to bed. Something I've been fantasizing about all day. I absolutely couldn't wait for my head to hit that pillow.

I untied my apron, hanging it on the kitchen hook and made my way to the light switch to flick it off until...

"It smelt great in here earlier when I walked by."

I halted my actions, turning around to face the all too familiar voice.

Donovan.

An awkward chuckle left my mouth. "Yeah, I was just trying out some new things." I said, trying to force my awkwardness away.

He emerged from the dimly lit room, walking deeper into the kitchen, "Well whatever it is, you're doing great."

"Thank you." I said with a small smile on my face, trying to be polite.

"No worries, I just came in here to get to know you a little better, this morning was a tad bit informal." He said as he stopped in front of me.

I recalled the memory from this morning and I do admit that it was a little weird. "Yeah..." I trailed off, not really knowing what to say.

He flashed me a smile, "That's just Nova though isn't it? Let's have a seat shall we?" he asked motioning over to the stools.

I nodded my head and trailed behind him across the kitchen island.

"Thank you." I said as he pulled the stool out for me and he nodded in response.

I sat on the stool turning my body to face him. Hopefully we could wrap this up in point five seconds because I felt my eyes getting heavier by the second.

"You go to culinary school, correct? how's that?" He asked, but before I could wonder where he got the information of me being in culinary school I nodded. "It's good, I like it."

I lied.

But... I didn't know Donovan entirely enough to tell the truth.

"Nice, I had a little thing for cooking when I was younger, I had grown out of it though to engross myself with more of the family business and affairs." He responded, "I assume you'd know about that, since your relationship with Nova."

For a split second my heart stopped.

He knows?

I just as fast as the words left his mouth my defensive guards shot up, "What do you mean relationship?" I asked, trying to keep my voice neutral.

"I meant platonically," he chuckled. "I just meant your platonic relationship, but you two do seem close with each other."

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

I smiled trying to continue my polite facade, "Yeah, Nova has been trying to make my experience fun here, and I guess we just became friends along the way." I said trying to hint that what he saw this morning, didn't have romantic intentions laced within it.

Only Nova and I needed to know that it did.

"Makes sense, I guess you're also loosening Nova up too, I've never seen her have a snowball fight before, happy you're able to bring that out of her, she needs friends." He explained but I quickly noticed how this conversation shifted from me– to Nova almost shockingly.

I hummed in response, "It's nice having a friend you could work with too. Back at my job in the city I have some friends that I work with." I said, trying to change the subject.