53

After a long two final days of prepping and helping everything get set up–

Today is the day that we all— me specifically have been undeniably dreading.

After the final two days happened to blow by me, it seemed that all of my life's work led up to this very moment.

Which was my alarm for four am going off right now.

The event would officially take place in seven hours from now and if I wanted any of it to run smoothly, it was in my best interest to start everything now.

I paused my alarm pulling the weighted blanket off of me, dangling my feet off the edge of the bed.

But before I could stand up I felt an arm wrap around my waist, halting me completely.

And when I heard a raspy hum fall from Nova's lips I knew she was awake.

Great.

There goes me being subtle.

"What time is it?" she mumbled pulling me further on the bed.

"It's four," I replied, turning around to face her.

And god did she look good tired.

She rubbed her eyes "What's wrong?" she asked, assuming that was the reason I was up so early.

"Nothing, I'm just getting ready to start everything," I assured, slightly trying to pull out of her hold.

"Five more minutes?" she questioned. And as much as I wanted to crawl back in bed, I just couldn't bring myself to

"I can't Nova, I have to get started as soon as possible,"

And when her arm slightly loosened around me I took that as my cue to stand up.

I tiredly headed into her bathroom to do my morning routine, trying to calm my thoughts.

After washing my face and doing my skincare I kept my stare locked on the mirror as I brushed my teeth.

I mindlessly stared at my reflection until I noticed the bathroom door glide open in my peripheral.

I watched a tired Nova walk deeper into the bathroom before stopping directly behind me and wrapping her arms around my waist.

I continued brushing my teeth as she placed soft kisses on my neck

She stayed nuzzled into me as a silence wrapped around us. I spit out the remainder of toothpaste and pat my face down.

"Nova," I said blankly, for the sole purpose that I was done in the bathroom and we've been standing here for about thirty seconds.

I narrowed my eyes when I was met with silence. "Nova come on, I'm done." I said gently patting her hand.

A long pause followed, before she spoke, "Can we stay like this for a second?" she mumbled, keeping her face buried in the crook of my neck.

Upon hearing her words, I softened my gaze, leaning into her touch.

After about three minutes she lifted her head.

"You're going to do great today Mariah," she assured, holding my stare in the mirror.

A slight smile broke out on my face, "I should be telling you that," I joked, knowing that today was for her.

She shook her head, "Today's your day, I'm really just guest starring," she said, causing a small chuckle to leave my lips.

"This is so crazy," I suddenly said. "It's really happening."

"I know. I remember when you bumped into me twice like it was yesterday..." she trailed off causing me to narrow my eyes.

I pulled out of her hold, exiting the bathroom, "If anything you bumped into me twice, you were supposed to be at the table waiting for me to come back," I rolled my eyes.

"I mean the eight hundred dollar tip was supposed to make up for it," she shrugged.

"Yeah, thanks rent payer," I said, mocking Mr. Zhos words from last week.

A low chuckle left Nova's mouth. I grabbed my phone and began making my way out of the room.

"You're leaving?" Nova questioned.

I raised a brow, "Uh— yeah? what did you think I was doing the whole time?" I asked.

"I mean, I thought you were getting dressed in here too," she clarified.

I shook my head as she began approaching me, "Everything is in my room already, I forgot to bring it up last night." I explained.

She pulled me into her and I wrapped my arms around her neck.

"If anyone says anything to you, tell me okay?" she asked, staring down at me.

I nodded my head and she tilted her head.

"Yes." I said, knowing she wanted me to say it out loud.

"I don't need anything special today, just do you, no pressure." she added looking between my eyes. "Whatever you do is enough for me." she whispered.

And as the moment grew sweet, I dropped my gaze to her lips connecting them shortly after. The kiss was so soft as we savored each other's lips, almost like it would be our last.

I pulled her closer into me as she depend the kiss, sliding her tongue into my mouth. Her hands trailed past my waist and I broke apart from the kiss.

"I know what you're doing." I said resting my forehead against hers.

A small smirk grew on her lips, "What am I doing?" she questioned.

"You know I have to go, it's about to be five now." I whispered and she dropped her gaze away from my eyes.

"You know I don't want you to leave."

A brief silence swirled around us, "I'll see you later right? After your speech?" I asked, hoping she wasn't too busy.

She nodded, "I guess..." she said, sounding almost defeated.

I unhooked my arms from around her, bringing my hands up to her face. "I just have to start everything and once i'm finished I'll see you after the speech, and me and you could hang out okay?"

She averted her stare back up to mine. "Okay."

She kept her gaze pinned on me for a few seconds. I tried to decipher the expression on her face but it was entirely unreadable.

And right as I was about to ask her was wrong she spoke.

"I..."

I waited for her to finish as she trailed off but she ultimately shook her head.

"—I think you're going to do great." she added.

But it felt like that wasn't what she was going to say.

I nodded my head and pulled away completely.

I headed back toward the door and opened it, "I'll see you later." I said once more before exiting her room and heading down to my floor.

And although I felt really bad about leaving Nova I was more than ready to get all of this over with.

I pulled out the outfit that Nova had made for me, which of course was all white. It was a regular catering outfit which was a plain white dress shirt with a pearl white vest over it paired with some white dress pants. .

I was definitely wearing a jacket over it until I was done cooking though, since wearing white wasn't the best idea.

I checked the time once more and it was a little past five at this point, I exited my room leaving my phone on my bed and I headed downstairs to get everything started.

There's not enough hope in the world that could possibly soothe my thoughts right now.

I just had to go for it.