19

At some point during this stay, I had to cook. I mean it was what I was getting paid for so obviously.

I just don't know why I couldn't bring myself to do it.

It was just a lot.

But I needed to make those test dishes, because nothing could go wrong for this event.

Everything needed to be perfect.

That's why I got up at 6 am so I could get an early start.

But even with that, I was standing in the middle of this kitchen, staring at all the ingredients I had in front of me, not moving a single muscle.

If you don't do it it's not going to get done Mariah.

But I couldn't help but furrow my brows as the memories came flooding back to me. And the fact that they didn't happen that long ago made my blood turn cold.

Especially since I would have to go through it all over again once my break is over.

I tried to push away the thoughts of culinary school out of my mind but they wouldn't stop. I knew if the thoughts about school didn't stop, then the memories would come back soon.

It was silly of me to think I could move past it. I could only bury so much before it resurfaces again.

I took a deep breath and signed, grabbing one of the ingredients to try and get my mind off of it.

I looked at the list of foods Nova requested for the event and chose a random one.

Beef wellington.

I sighed gratefully as I remembered I only had to make 30 of these. Well not right now, but eventually, which is why the way I make it needs to be consistent.

This shouldn't be too hard.

I turned the stove on high, grabbed the olive oil from the counter and got a skillet from the counter.

When the skillet was coated in olive oil I let it sit on the stove until it was smoking. I unwrapped the meat and tied some string around it in a few different places.

Once it was tied I got a couple of seasonings and mixed a bunch in a measuring spoon. I don't even use measuring spoons for seasonings. That's how you know I'm serious about this.

When the measuring spoon was full I sprinkled the seasoning around the meat, and placed it in the skillet. I grabbed my phone and typed in the measurements of each ingredient I used so far.

As that was cooking I thought it was best to get started on a different dish. Nova requested around 7 main dishes, all of which require over 10 being made. She also listed 5 side dishes which don't require multiple being made, I just have to make a lot.

Everything about this was a lot. I wasn't really quite sure I could handle it. I mean what if something goes wrong with the dishes the day before, or what if I mess something up.

The whole event will have people from other mafias there, what if they don't like the food and I get kidnapped and trapped in an underwater prison in Antarctica or something.

And what about when this is all over and I have to go back to school.

The thought about school made my heart race. I tried to push the thoughts away once again but it was no holding them off anymore.

When I was younger, cooking, baking, and anything in the kitchen was everything to me.

There wasn't one thing I disliked about it, and it made me happy. Knowing that I had a calling, a destiny that I was able to pursue in my future motivated me, and pushed me toward my goal.