The car ride felt excruciatingly long and we've only been on the road for 5 minutes.

The silence was killing me and I forgot my headphones in my room, which made it worse. I was looking out at the traffic ahead of me when Nova suddenly spoke.

"You can plug in your phone if you want to listen to music, or anything." She said, grabbing a cord and holding it up to me, while keeping her eyes on the road.

I was weighing my options because I wasn't too fond of sharing my music taste with other people, but we had about 40 minutes left until we got there and it felt like I was losing my mind.

I grabbed the cord from her hand and plugged my phone in. I was internally deciding which playlist I wanted to play. I had to choose wisely since I didn't want to regret this later.

I ultimately decided to go for a more R&B based playlist I had, so I pressed shuffle and soon enough the song was playing throughout the car. I propped my arm on the door and leaned my head in my hand, continuing to look out the window. It was actually pretty nice.

About 38 minutes have passed and we were almost at the restaurant, which I was happily anticipating because I was starving, and it was barely 9 o clock.

I was so hungry I wanted to go on their website so I could see what menu items they had, but part of me wanted it to be a surprise.

All of my food related thoughts came to a halt when I heard Nova start to speak.

"Have you always lived in New York?" She asked me as the car came to a stop at a red light.

"No, I've been living here for a few years now, I moved here to go to culinary school." I replied looking at her, her side profile was stunning.

"Where did you move from?" She questioned as the car started moving, indicating the light turned green.

"Hawaii, I didn't always live there though." I added, turning to face forward.

"Where did you live before that?" Nova asked while turning the wheel.

"I lived in California up until I was 3," I explained, "Can I ask you a question now?" I suddenly asked, feeling a bit of boldness.

"Go ahead."

"What do you guys do? and what is the event for? do you guys have a company... or..." I trailed off turning to face her, and the car completely stopped.

"We're here." She said not removing her gaze from in front of us. I didn't even notice we had gotten here, and early at that.

Soon enough Nova had opened her door. Stepped out of the car and closed the door again.

I turned around to face the door to try and get out but I couldn't spot a handle, and just like the outside, it was nowhere to be found. How was I supposed to get out?

I was in the middle of planning my escape route when the car door suddenly opened. And just like earlier Nova opened the door for me again.
I nervously unbuckled my seat belt and stepped out of the car.

"...Thanks."

I quickly took in my surroundings since I've never been to this part of the city. Almost like any other street in New York, there were brick buildings lined across and next to the unfamiliar diner.

The diner itself seemed really open, the outside was lined with large windows, giving you a glimpse of the inside fairly easily. There were yellow neon lights in shapes of stars next to the sign, which read  'Sunrise Diner'.

"Ready?" Nova asked, looking over at me.
"Yeah, definitely." I replied taking one last look at the outside. But what I didn't know was that being inside would be better than looking through the windows.