43

NOVAS POV

"Are you surely sure?" Noah asked me for what seemed to be the hundredth time by now.

"Yes. I mean there's no other reason to be on that side of New York, something's definitely been initiated." I explained once more.

He stepped up in the line, "I don't know... coincidence?" he trailed off.

I lazily rolled my eyes, completely tired of the fact that I've given him countless pieces of evidence and proof this whole trip and yet he hasn't believed me. "It's a coincidence that the Phantoms were in our side of New York, when I was away on business, and also hurt somebody that had some form of relation with me?" I reiterated one more time as we stepped up in line again.

"Correct, now what are you getting from here?" Noah asked changing the subject.

We were at one of the most popular bakeries in Manhattan to get some stuff before our meeting today.

I was mainly here to get stuff for Mariah when I see her later.

"Fruit tarts and chocolate covered strawberries for Mariah." I replied remembering that those are a couple of her favorite desserts.

"If Mariah told you her favorite planet was the moon would you buy it?" Noah asked, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, and then I'd buy Saturn too just so her moon wouldn't get lonely."

"Okay bud," he responded and we walked to the counter since we were next in line. "I forgot my wallet, you got me?" he questioned, eyeing the pastries.

"They have free sugar packets over there, it's all you can eat." I said.

"Don't say anything when I die of starvation." Noah said shaking his head.

"Trust me, I won't."

We made our way to the rooftop seating area and waited for our father and Donovan to arrive.

I had no idea why he was coming in the first place, he's been here for less than a week and they're already re-involving him in family affairs.

The only way I'd be fine with him doing mafia stuff was if he was taking my place completely, like things were originally supposed to be.

But he's not, so I can do without him being here.

"You think Mariah could make these?" Noah said, taking another bite of the Parisian cake he forced me to buy him.

"I think you should just buy them yourself, with your own money." I replied, taking a sip of my water.

He swallowed the bite he was chewing on, "You know, you're really mean to me." he said pointing his fork at me.

"It comes with the job," I added flatly, but before Noah was able to respond I felt a hand tap my shoulder.

"You're correct, it does come with the job." Donovan said from behind me.

I don't know why he'd even respond to that.

He never got the job to begin with.

Shortly after he spoke, silence fell upon Noah and I. "It's nice to get a response every once and a while." Donovan said, pulling the seat out at the table.

"Agreed." My father said pulling a seat out as well.

I internally sighed trying to prepare myself for another boring sit down meeting. "You don't seem too thrilled to be here Nova." Donovan pointed out with a smirk on his face.