17

The food was absolutely amazing. It never occurred to me that Nova was able to cook— well at least that good. It made me wonder why I was cooking for the event.

The event.

Remembering what this whole thing was about made my heart drop. Especially since Nova was at the center of it all.

"Are you ready to go back to the estate or do you still need time?" Nova asked, looking at me.

"Time for what?" I asked, pretending to be clueless. I don't know why she was avoiding the topic.

"To process...?" She trailed off, narrowing her eyes.

"To process...?" I repeated, tilting my head.

"You know Mariah." Nova said flatly.

"And you do too, so why aren't we talking about it?" I asked with a hint of irritation in my voice.

"I didn't know you were ready."

I stared at her with a blank expression on my face.

"I'm not going to do this with you right now Nova-"

"I'll answer any question you have Mariah, I just... never done any of this before..." She said trailing off.

"Any of what?" I asked.

"Everything– the opening up about my family– about me.  I'll tell you anything you want to know, but I'm really trying Mariah." Nova admitted, keeping her gaze on me and I suddenly felt bad.

"Im sorry, I don't mean to intrude but–"

"I know, it's apart of your job," Nova said mockingly with a smirk on her face.

"Alright, Casanova, you can explain on the way back then." I said, smirking at her while heading to my room.

I took a quick shower and changed my clothes before going back into the living room.

"Let's go," I said, opening the front door. She walked out after me and I shut the door behind her, before locking it and heading to the stairs.

"So you're going to officially be the leader at the little coronation thing?" I asked her walking down the steps.

"Not a coronation and yes, that's when it's going to be officialized and that's when other mafias will know, whether they're enemies or allies." She explained.

"Then what is it that you're doing now?" I asked her in curiosity.

"This is only a taste of what I'll be doing once I become the leader, my dad stepped down but not entirely, he is still giving orders and what not."

"Do you guys like... kill people?" I asked hesitantly, walking through the front lobby.

"Yes, Mariah." She deadpanned. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they did. But those were definitely her intentions last night.

I just wondered why she didn't follow through with them.

"Why are you becoming the leader instead of your brother? Aren't you guys the same age?" I asked, realizing that if being the leader was something that was passed down, then I assumed it would have gone to her brother instead.

"It's a long story, mostly based on maturity at the time, my brother was fine not becoming the boss anyway, it's a big responsibility." She said pulling the lobby door open for me.

"Did you want to be the boss?" I asked and there was a pause following the question.

"Who else would have done it if it wasn't me." She said, but it didn't come out as a question, it was a statement.