38

NOVAS POV

"Way to snitch." I said, thumping Noah's ear.

"I thought you told her, and plus she's your girlfriend she should know dad doesn't want you guys together." Noah explained walking down the carpeted hall.

"I was going to tell her–"

"No you weren't, you just don't want to scare her away, you know women love honesty." He murmured, shrugging his shoulders.

He can't be serious.

"You've never even talked to a woman besides mom and I, you're the last person to give advice." I remarked.

Noah never had a relationship of any sorts—that he told me about of course, but being honest I don't even think about his love life.

"You don't know that." he said, pushing the conference door open.

Since Donovan's unexpected and unwanted return our parents set up a little family meeting for some odd reason.

This was the absolute last place I wanted to be.

"Did you two take a tour of the estate?" Donovan said, chuckling.

Noah and I glanced at each other before looking back at him.

Awkward.

Our dad cleared his throat and jetted in, "You two haven't seen Donovan yet have you?"

"Me? No." Noah said sarcastically, pulling out the rollie chair next to our mom and shooting me a smirk.

Now I'm forced to sit next to our father, who raised a brow at me indicating that I should answer the question next.

"Fortunately."

"And you two didn't tell us? some kids you are." he said jokingly and Donovan laughed.

"Enough of us, it's been forever, how have you been?" My mom asked.

Oh great, I was in a small talk meeting.

"Well you know— busy of course. I took over a company and created a beautiful empire, traveled the world, created alliances of all sorts." he explained smiling.

I was fighting the groan threatening to fall from my lips.

He's so boring.

"Ever since you were young we knew you were destined to do great things, regardless of the mistakes and obstacles you had to overcome."

And for a split second I saw his jaw tightened.

That alone confirmed my suspicions, he was still mad.

If there was a contest for holding grudges for a long period of time, my family would definitely get first place.

We'd probably even be the only ones to show up.

Because if what happened to him happened to me?

I know I'd never get over it.

"You know I try." he said behind a tight smile. "What have you all been up to? six years is quite a hefty amount of time."

"Well..." my dad trailed off with a smile growing on his lips.

God please.

"I'm stepping down once more, and Nova is going to be taking my position."

As the words fell out my dads mouth I kept my stare intently pinned on Donovan to gauge his reaction.

And I watched as his eyes seemed to darken.

The slight smirk on his face was completely gone and the mood in the room had a sudden shift. I don't know if my parents were able to catch on as I was. His gaze shifted from my father to me as he spoke, "That's wonderful isn't it." he said flatly.

"Sure is, it will be officialized not too long from now." he added, nodding his head in pride.

"How many days from now? Id hate to miss it." he said, keeping his gaze on me.

"Almost ten I believe."

He slowly nodded his head, never breaking eye contact once. "Well I congratulate you Nova, it's well deserved." He said lowly, holding his hand out for a handshake.

I averted my attention to his hand, eyeing it until my dad slightly nudged me, motioning for me to shake it.

To which I did, and although it was overall unimpactful, there was darker intent laced behind it and it was hard to miss.

Especially with how he was looking at me now.

Like he had some ulterior motive, I just couldn't figure out what.

"How about this, to welcome you back into the city your mother and I will throw a little party for you and your newfound accomplishments. How's that sound?" My dad questioned.

"Amazing."

"Then it's settled, we'll get all the details and things figured out, but for right now settle in, there's plenty of rooms." My mom said, flashing a smile.

It's fascinating how fast they were able to switch up— or maybe forget.

They both acted like this was something that everyone left in the past, but that one decision changed the outcome of everyone's future.

But then again, if Donovan didn't do what he did, and my dad didn't follow through with his decision, then I would have never landed at that restaurant to begin with, and nine times out of ten I never would have met Mariah.

That's the only reason i would ever salute Donovan for being a fuck up.

"I have important matters to attend to, it was truly a pleasure being able to catch up with you Donovan, if you must contact me for whatever reason please reach out to Amos." I said, standing up from my chair and shaking his hand once more.

I lied.

Of course.

I actually was going back up to see Mariah.

But making it clear that him being here is purely professional, was my goal.

And I would hope it was mission accomplished.

"Thanks for the chat, I'd hope to see you at the party." he said smirking. I nodded my head, shot a knowing look to Noah and left the conference room.

Going to a party was the last thing on my mind. Especially one being thrown for Donovan.

And I didn't even understand why they were throwing him a party. He gave the most vague answer on what he's been up to for six years then almost immediately flipped it on me.

Even though he asked a general question that any of us could have answered, for some weird reason it felt like he knew it somehow be about me.

Like he only wanted to hear someone say it.

He just seemed secretive. Like there was something he was leaving out.

And if there was, I was bound to find out what it would be, but the only important part–

Was how.