37

Upon hearing the voice who I had no idea whom it could belong to, Nova lifted herself from over me and reached a hand out to pull me up.

I grabbed her hand and she pulled me back on my feet, and as I was about to face the unfamiliar voice Nova spoke, "Ready to go back?"

"Didn't know we weren't even on hello terms Nova."

Not being able to take the suspense anymore, I turned toward the person.

My eyes scanned all around the man's face, from his slicked back hair with a few pieces falling on his forehead, to his beard covering his extremely sharp jawline.

But what stood out the most is how he looked like a precise mixture of Nora and Damon.

Was Nova actually his sister?

"And who might this be?" he asked, averting his attention back to me after Nova's silent response.

"I don't think–"

"Mariah." We said at the same time. I shot Nova a sorry glance realizing that she didn't want me telling him.

It's a little late now.

He moved his hand that was resting in the pocket of his pristine black suit and held it out for me to shake.

I shook his hand and he gave me a slight nod. "Donovan." he said with a small smirk on his face.

He averted his attention back to Nova and then back to me, "I assume Nova hasn't told you about me has she?"

I gave Nova a worried look, as she kept her eyes locked on Donovan. Her jaw visibly tightened as each second passed by.

After what felt like an eternity of silence, it was finally broken. "I'll see you around Donovan." she said to him with a low tone. She nodded her head once at me before turning on her heel to go back to the estate.

I followed behind Nova and waited to get far enough before asking, "Who is that?"

"My brother."

My brain had to have short circuited or something. Processing the words that just came out of her mouth seemed to be ten times harder, this very moment.

So Noah wasn't her only other sibling?

"Like step brother... or?" I trailed off, trying to understand.

She held the front door open for me and replied, "My second brother, he's the oldest."

"Okay— Okay, so you have two brothers?" I reiterated making sure I heard properly.

She nodded her head, "Yes."

"Okay, and you never thought to tell me about it once...because why?" I questioned, the feeling of irritation creeping upon me.

This reminded me of when she wouldn't tell me that this was a mafia. I thought we were done with keeping secrets.

"I don't like him." she said flatly.

I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at her with a narrowed look. "You don't like him?" I deadpanned as she turned around.

"Correct."

A few seconds passed before I responded, "You can not be serious right now Casanova."

"Okay, let's talk about it. Anywhere else but here." she said referring to the fact that we were in the middle of one of the most populated areas in the estate.

I nodded my head and followed Nova, eager to get to her floor. Once we made it in the elevator I was confused to see her push the button to my floor opposed to hers.

She must have read my mind because when she seemed to notice my confusion she explained, "I don't want to risk him being on my floor."
When we got to my floor Nova and I went into my room and I sat on the bed waiting for an explanation.

"He's supposed to be the boss of our mafia." she blurted out.

After being completely caught off guard I replied, "I'm not understanding..."

"Everything– all of this is supposed to be his, this was never meant for me." she re-explained.
But I still didn't know how to feel about all of this sudden information.

And upon realizing what she really meant my stomach seemed to tie itself in knots.
I shook my head, being unable to process all of this. "So it was supposed to be him...?" I slowly questioned and Nova hummed.

"What happened?" And as soon as the words fell from my lips it seemed like Nova hesitated to tell me.

And that only seemed to amplify my worrying.

Nova took a deep breath and pushed her hair back. "He just did something that my dad didn't approve of, so he revoked his role last minute."

I really didn't want to pry anymore, but my mind couldn't help but wonder what it was he did that ruined his chances.

"I wish you told me you had a secret brother." I said softening my tone. I wasn't mad, I just wish that she told me herself rather than me finding out in an awkward situation.

"I'm sorry," she sighed walking toward me, "I just reallyyy don't like him." she whined.

A small chuckle left my lips as I pulled Nova into me. I planted a small kiss on her lips and pulled away. "I didn't know we were being stingy now?" she said, raising a brow.

"Tell the truth next time, I'm more likely to be generous." I smirked pulling her back into me.

But I unknowingly pushed her away when the door swung open. "Nova, did you know Donovan was here?!" Noah rushed out, sprinting into the room.

"Yeah..." Nova said, turning around to face him.

"And you didn't say anything?!" he called out.

She squinted at him."I didn't think I had to inform you as soon as I saw him..." she trailed off.

"Shut up, you know dads going to flip if he's here." he groaned, throwing his head back.
I furrowed my brows in confusion. And the question of what Donovan did to make their dad that upset flooded my mind once again.

"What are you talking about?" I asked Noah, but in reality I didn't want to know. I didn't want to know what he did to possibly upset their father, whose a mafia boss.

I waited for Noah's response and for a split second, I saw him give Nova a worried look.

Like he wasn't supposed to say something.

"So basically..." he sucked in a breath, "Donovan got exiled because he supposedly fell in love with some girl when he was like a month away from becoming the mafia boss so he left for six years and I guess has finally returned today!" Noah rambled breathing out.

Nova threw her head back as a groan left her mouth. "This is important information, sorry." Noah said, shrugging to her.

I remained silent, taking in this newfound information. From the fact that her brother has been gone for six years, or the reason that he lost his position because he fell in love.

And my mind immediately traveled to Nova and I.

If that happened to their brother, what's stopping it from happening to us? Because she never once told me that she wasn't supposed to be in a relationship.

Noticing the look plastered across my face Nova opened her mouth to speak, but before she could a few knocks landed on the door. Noah went to open it and when he did, Amos was standing right outside.

"Please excuse me, but you two are needed within the family hall." he said, nodding his head to me after seeing I was also here.

"Upon whose request?" Nova asked.

"Your fathers."

Nova averted her attention back to Noah and then back to me. "I'll be back soon, then we can talk." she said and directly after her and Noah took their leave.

And until then, I was only left with thoughts and assumptions until she got back.