32

NOVAS POV

I kept my eyes locked on the necklace in my hands.

The one I was going to give to Mariah.

I kept going over every detail of it until it was engraved in my mind. Until I've had every piece– every imperfection, every millimeter, memorized.

I don't know why I was doing this. It was like this was the only thing I've had to show for everything.

I haven't seen Mariah since yesterday but it felt like eternity.

I never knew I could miss somebody to this extent.

She's been at the estate, here and there according to Noah. But I haven't actually seen her myself or had time to sort everything out.

What would I even tell her?

"Oh the guy you saw me about to kill in the alleyway yesterday is a member of the phantoms and this could cause a potential war?"

And we don't know if he's alive...

When I dropped the gun my dad said that the guy began booking it to the other end of the alley, which means I must have missed...

He then said he grabbed the gun, let out a few shots but didn't know if the guy lived.

Which is a huge problem.

And I mean huge.

I let out a groan in irritation.

Everything was–

"Ow!?" I called out as I felt something hit my stomach.

I quickly turned to face Noah who had a tennis racket in his hand, and shortly after I noticed the tennis ball rolling across the court.

"What was that for!?" I shouted at him.

"Because you've been staring at the lame ass necklace for the past thirty minutes, are we playing tennis or not?" He questioned walking toward the net.

"I newer said I wanted to play tennis. You dragged me out here, threw a racket at me, and told me to play. " I retorted.

"Yes cause you've been looking like a four year old who lost their favorite toy, for the past 24 hours!" He whined.

I furrowed my brows. "I'm not– whatever I have work to do." I said flatly heading towards the gate.

"This is the third time you've "had work to do." He said using air quotes.

"Then this is just the third time I've just had work." I spat out.

"Alright bruh," He said walking away.

I continued back to the gate until I felt something hit my back.

I cocked my head to the side and saw Noah with a racket in his hand. "Hit me with a ball one more time." I said blankly.

He reached in the tennis ball tube, grabbed a new ball and stared at me.

I challengingly narrowed my eyes, keeping my gaze locked on him.

Before I knew it he tossed a ball up into the air and the racket met it halfway. I moved out of the direction of the ball and grabbed it after it bounced off of the gate.

I picked up the other racket sitting on the bench and threw the ball up and hit it toward him. The ball slightly grazed his leg and he picked it up, hitting it to me once again.

After about 5 minutes of hitting each other with tennis balls Noah finally spoke, "Time out, Im done." he breathed out plopping on the ground.

"So you admit I won?" I huffed out sitting next to him.

"Never."

We sat in silence staring at the sky, sun beaming down on us as we caught our breaths.

"I'm sorry." Noah said, breaking the silence and it immediately returned.

I kept the sky in my view as I took in his words. "I'm sorry too."

I tore my gaze away from the sky when I noticed Noah sitting up in my peripheral. "Twin hug?" he asked in a teasing tone.

I shook my head. "We're not twins." I said smiling.

"Might as well be." He laughed, pulling me into a hug.

"Gross get off of me." I laughed.

"So what are you going to do?" Noah asked once all of our laughter died down and we pulled out of the hug.

"About what?"

"All of it. Mariah, the Phantoms, this doesn't just blow over."

I took a moment to think to myself. What was I supposed to do?

"I don't know, I need to talk to them."

"Talk to them? Talk to the Phantoms?" He reiterated.

"I mean dad set up a meeting with one of them–"

"Dad quite literally, setup a set up," He narrowed his eyes. "Nobody even knows anything about them, their leader has been unknown for like the past 5 years."

I took a moment to think. "Go through someone who's lower ranked, like yesterday." I suggested.

"We had contact with that one member because he infiltrated our party, and because you– you know murdered him yesterday, our only way in is completely gone." He explained.

"We don't even know if he's dead, and that was all dad's doing," I explained.

"Why can't we just email them." Noah questioned.

I stared at him blankly.

"Wait! Wait! I have a great idea." He blurted out.

"We'll get somebody to hand you over!!" I raised an eyebrow."Okay—okay so we get in contact with them talking about, "We got Casanova Casper, hot and ready freshly kidnapped. We'll deliver her to your headquarters right now." and they drop you off, you guys talk, find information like who their leader is, once you're done, I break through the window like Batman, air it out, rescue you then we got intel, boom!" He quickly explained.

A sigh left my lips as I dropped my head. "That's the best thing we got right now." I breathed out.

"So what?! Plan in motion?" He jumped up in excitement.

"I guess..."

This seemed like such a bad idea. Bad ideas was something Noah was infamous for, something about this was definitely going to go wrong.

"Yeah! Noah Eli Casper, best thinker in the world!?" He called out running in circles across the court.

An airy chuckle left my lips at his antics.

But I felt worry building in my stomach.

I had a bad feeling about this.