Chapter Thirty Two

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

ABSQUATULATE

PHUWIN'S POV

This is the moment I've been waiting for. Despite the obstacles, especially those caused by him, I've worked hard for it. His behaviour was confusing and broke my heart, but I realized that I do love him. However, I cannot let that disturb me today. No matter what, I have to win.

As we make a circle before entering the podium stage, I glance once again at the audience seats. I only see Gemini. I wonder if Hia is still feeling sad. Gemini texted me that Hia had lost to P'Joong again. Well, I can understand if he needs time to recover. For Hia Shake too, I need to bring home the winning title.

The match begins as I predicted. St. Gabriel comes with their ACE members: NuNew, Mick, Tutor, and of course, Pond. As expected for the final mathematics match, the questions are difficult. Some of the questions are international-level math problems, but they solve them in the blink of an eye.

I can see how serious they are. It's like all those matches before were just a warm-up for them. Especially Pond, this time he is serious. I feel it. He is different from last year. He doesn't even take the time to answer the questions.

That's good though. He didn't take it easy on me. I need to concentrate even more. Everyone depends on me - my team, my school - so I have to win.

There's only one thing that keeps bothering me, Pond's complexion. Is it just me or is he becoming paler and paler? And the amount of sweat. Is he sick?

"This question is for Mr. Pirapat from St. Gabriel. If Mr. Pirapat can answer this question, we have the winner."

I immediately snapped back and focused on the competition. This last question determined our victory. If they answer it wrong, we have a chance.

"The question is Algebra," the questioner shows the Algebra problem on the screen. "Find the function of f(x),"

I listened carefully to the question.

"x f (y) + y f (x) ≤ 2"

I see Pond scrambling to solve the problem and I do the same too. I have confidence in the answer since Algebra is my strongest subject.

"What's the answer to The Function f(x), if Mr Pirapat can solve this, they will bring home the trophy for the 3rd time, if wrong, we pass the question to Mr Vihokratana from HARROW,"

As much as I wanted Pond to answer it wrong, I knew he wouldn't make any mistakes. After all, he is one of the 7 top National Brains.

"So, Mr. Pirapat, what is the answer to The Function f(x)?"

"The answer is..."

I see a pause in his speech, it's weird, and he sweats a lot. His face complexion is also paler.

"Is 0,"

What?! He's not joking, right? That's the wrong answer!

"The answer is not 0," the questioner said as he switched to me. "If Mr Vihokratana from HARROW can answer the question, we have a winner."

I still can't believe the answer Pond gave, is he doing it on purpose?! I also see the expression of his teammates too. They're also surprised.

"Mr Vihokratana, what's the answer to The Function f(x)?"

"The function f(x) = 1/x is the only solution," I answer confidently.

"The answer is...CORRECT!" "This year's CAMP Math Competition winner is HARROW International School!"