Chapter 44

We stood in silence as the guards lowered their weapons and walked out of the house leaving us there. Angela stared at him on the ground and I saw her crying. I ran over to her and pulled her into my arms. She shook her head and hugged me. I missed the feeling so badly. I needed her. She pulled away from me and looked over at Christian. He stood there in silence on the ground next to Lauren. I felt the tears build up and Angela went over to Christian. He just stood there and she hugged him tightly. He just sat there with his arms by his side stunned. Soon Miles and my father came inside and they were shocked. I nodded at Miles and he went to Angela still hugging Christian and she looked at Miles. He helped her up off the ground and pulled her into his arms. He helped her outside and I looked at Christian. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"We have to go before the police show up" I said to him

"He killed her" Christian said looking at me "She's gone. My heart is dead, but somehow I breathe. I don't want to breathe anymore."

"Christian you have to live for your kids. Remember what you promised her. Don't let go. Please." I said and he looked down at her. "Get up for them"

"I'm not leaving her behind" Christian said

"Of course not." I said and Christian stood up picking her up in his arms. He touched her wrist and stilled.

"I still feel a pulse" He said "It's faint but it has to mean something"

"Christian" I grabbed his arm as he tried to rush out the door

"Don't tell me not to try. Don't" He yelled and ran out the door

I followed him out and Christian put her in the car and drove off. Miles and Angel were long gone and I hope he got her home already. I followed Christian's car to the nearest hospital. We made it there in exactly four minutes. I hopped out the car and Christian set her down on the gurney. They felt for her pulse and miraculously found it. They hurried off with her and Christian paced back and forth. He looked to see me there. I sat down in the chair and he sat next to me. He put his head in his hands and I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"I will never tell you not to try." I said and he looked at me and nodded

———-

We wait for an hour and soon the doctor comes out.
"For Mrs. Rossi" He said and Christian hopped up from his seat

"Yes" he said pained

"We were able to resuscitate her. The bullet grazed her. If you hadn't brought her here in time, it would've been a different conversation. The thing about brain injuries, the outcomes can be difficult. Right now she is stable but we don't know when she will wake up. She did make it though, so that is a good sign" The doctor said and we nodded

"Can I see her?" Christian asked and the doctor led him down the hall

I breathed out in relief. I got up and went to go home. I thought about Scarlett and what she said about Angel and Nathan. How he looked at her haunted me. They kissed too. I couldn't believe that she would do that. It hurt me so badly. After reaching the house, I dreaded what awaited for me. I got out the car and into the house. I went upstairs and opened our bedroom door and she was sitting in the bed with my t-shirt on crying. She looked at me and hopped out the bed wrapping her arms around me. I relaxed into her hold. I missed this. I missed her.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and she shook her head no

I looked at her head to see the scar at her forehead near her hairline.

"He did this to you?" I asked with my jaw clenched and she nodded

"The day I was taken." She said and I looked at her