40. Jungkook's birthday

If you find this chapter dramatic rather than emotional, I consider you heartless *pout*. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As Taehyung revved up his bike, the chilly evening breeze whispered against their faces, which offered them a sense of calm amidst the chaos of their thoughts. 

Leaving Jungkook’s apartment behind, Taehyung guided the bike through the winding streets.

His grip tightened on the handlebars, his heart pounding inside him. 

Because they rode toward a destination, non of them could escape.

Taehyung’s nerves buzzed against his skin.

'What ifs?' filled his mind.

Jungkook hadn’t visited the cemetery since the day his world shattered. The pain of their loss was still fresh, the wounds never healed.

Taehyung won’t blame him for avoiding this place, but he believes it was time for Jungkook to face his fear, his demons. 

He glanced at Jungkook, who sat behind him, his expression unreadable. He took a deep breath, holding himself together for what was about to come.

“Koo,” Taehyung’s voice was gently audible, “I need you to trust me. Close your eyes and don’t open them until I say so.”

Jungkook, without hesitating for a moment, compiled. His trust in Taehyung was clear even in this simple act. With Jungkook’s eyes closed, Taehyung guided the bike through the busy streets.

Reaching their destination, Taehyung came to a stop and Jungkook’s body tensed behind him because of the eerie silence.

Taehyung guided him down from the bike and took Jungkook in a particular direction.

Taehyung steadied himself and his grip on Jungkook’s arm tightened as he spoke, “Okay, Koo, you can open your eyes now”.

Jungkook’s eyelids fluttered open and his breath caught in his throat as he took in the sight before him. 

His parents’ graves.

The silence of the cemetery increased, broken only by the rustle of leaves on the ground.

Jungkook’s body trembled in Taehyung’s hold. 

The box of locked memories in his heart clicked open when he saw his parent’s graves.

He wanted to run.

Run away from this place. For God’s sake, he was not strong enough to face this. Not yet, never will be.

For him, the pain, suffocation and guilt was what, still made him feel close to his parents.  

His body shivered and he thrashed in Taehyung’s hold as he was trying to avoid it. The pain.

He tried to break himself free from Taehyung’s hold, his thrashing and every try proving his desperation to run away from the torment that awaited him.

He felt he couldn’t breathe.

He was trying to take deep breaths in desperation for some air. His body trembled, his eyes welled up with tears, making it difficult for him to see his surroundings. 

He felt his body going numb, his legs were on the verge of giving up and suddenly he couldn’t hear too.

He couldn’t hear anything from his surroundings and the only thing echoing in his mind was... those voices.

They were back.

‘You did this to them.’

‘You were the reason for their accident.’