Chapter 57

Demi's POV:

"ANNA!" I yelled.

I had just watched her race out of the hospital bed and into the hallway. I mean, I knew she was scared, but I didn't know she was that scared that she would run away from the freaking hospital bed.

I too sprang out of bed and began to chase after her. I ran as quickly as my legs would carry me through the hallways, passing many doctors that told me to "slow down" or "take it easy", but I ignored them and kept running. Anna was out of sight by now. Damn, she was fast, especially for a 13 year-old that most likely had cancer.

"Demi? DEMI! STOP RUNNING!" I heard someone yell.

I wasn't going to listen, as usual, but then someone grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop. It was Anna's doctor.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"It's... It's Anna. She ran away." I explained, out of breath from running.

"She ran away?" He asked, shocked.

I nodded, still trying to catch my breath. He then began typing something on his pager.

"Okay, I just sent out a notification to all the staff. We'll find her. Just slow down and don't worry." he said.

I nodded again before resuming my Anna hunt, fast-walking this time.

Anna's POV:

I raced through the hospital hallways, away from my room. I heard Demi yell my name from a distance, but I was not about to go back there. I was completely healthy and I was going to live a normal life. No more MRIs, no more surgery and certainly no more biopsies.

As I raced through the halls and it seemed as though no one noticed me. Although, I could have been wrong because even if someone had told me to slow down or something, I was running on too much adrenaline to hear them.

I wasn't quite sure where I was going yet, but anything would be better than a hospital bed. Maybe I could just hide in one of the bathrooms or behind equipment or something. Naw, there would be too many doctors around that would ask questions. I needed to hide where there would be no meddling doctors or nurses. That's when I got it. I would go out to the playground outside the hospital. There was a tube slide I could hide in, maybe just long enough for Demi to change her mind about to biopsy.

I ran until I reached the elevator on my floor. I pressed the button to call it. I waited, tapping my foot for a few moments until it opened. I was bummed to find out that it had a doctor in it. He was young looking so I figured he didn't have any place or authority or anything that he could make me go back to my room. I walked in with my head down and nothing but my hospital gown on. I'll admit I felt a little exposed, but it's not like I had time to change before running away.

"Where are you headed young lady?" The doctor asked.

"To the park. I'm meeting a friend there." I lied easily.

Well I guess it wasn't really a lie cuz that's what I was doing, but it wasn't really the real reason I was going. I left that part out.

"Oh okay. Have fun." He said, believing me.

"Thanks." I mumbled, as we rode the rest of the way in an awkward silence.

When the door clicked open I ran to the back entrance, leading to the park. It was such a beautiful day out. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the mid afternoon heat felt great on my exposed body. It was a shame that I was spending it in the worst way. There weren't any kids in sight which was surprising, but I was relieved because it meant no one would disturb me. I quickly made my way to the top of the play set and ran to the tube slide which had a canopy type thing over it. I sat down under it and brought my knees to my chest, clinging to them. After about 5 minutes, when the adrenaline of running away had died down, everything began to sink in. So many emotions filled me and I couldn't help but break down in sobs. You would too if you were in my shoes. I probably had cancer again and it scared the crap out of me. I knew the right thing to do would be to go in and be brave, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to face all the scary tests and the pain and everything. I just wanted to be at home in Demi's arms.