Chapter 14

Jake's POV

I was taken to the hospital in the middle of my grandpa's birthday party, because my legs started bruising really badly. I guess my counts are really low and the cancer has spread. The only way to get my counts up for more chemo is a blood transfusion which the doctors said would be really dangerous to do since my immune system is so weak right now. So they pretty much told me that they are out of treatment options and they have nothing else they can do for me. Basically I'm officially dying. I guess it's my time. I'm not scared to die, I'm ready. The only thing I'm worried about is Anna. Once I'm gone she'll have nobody left that she will talk to. It took me so long to get her to open up to me. I'm worried that she will just give up or want to be with me. That can't happen. She has so much to look forward to in life. She has to keep fighting, but most importantly she needs to get help. She has gone through so much and is still going through so much. She needs someone to be there for her. That's when I got an idea. I had to hurry and get everything ready for when Anna got to the hospital after the show. When Anna got to the hospital she came and hugged me and asked what was going on. My parents took her out into the hallway to explain and thankfully she left her phone in the room. I went looking through her contacts hopping I would be able to find what I was looking for. Yes! She has it, she has Demi's phone number. I quickly put it into my phone and sent Demi a message.

Jake:

Hey. Um this is Jake. I'm not trying to like freak you out or anything, but I got your number from Anna's phone. I was wondering if you could possibly come to the hospital. I have something I need to give you tonight. It's really important. It's for Anna.

I waited for a reply and finally got one. Anna was still out in the hallway.

Demi:

Yeah, sure. Is everything okay? I'll be there in a few.

Jake:

It will be, and thanks.

My mom came back into the room. "How's she taking the news?" I asked.

"Like you would expect," She replied. I could tell she was trying to be strong for me.

"Mom, can you do me a favor?"

"Sure sweetie. What do you need?"

"Demi is going to be here in a couple minutes to pick up some stuff. Could you take this down to her so she doesn't have to come up here. Oh and please don't tell her about me. I want to let Anna tell her when she's ready," I said handing her a small box that read "Demi, please don't open until after your mentoring session with Anna on Thursday. Thanks, Jake," I knew I would be gone by then. They were turning off all the machine attached to me that were keeping me alive tonight.

Anna's POV

The doctors and Jake's parents were telling me what was going on but in my head all I heard was; Jake's dying. I was crying. All I wanted to do was be with him. I wish it was me dying instead of him. I can't live without him. He's all I have. "Can I see him?" I interrupted. They led me into him. As I was entering his room his mom was walking out with a box a little smaller than a shoe box. Jake motioned me to go over to him. I climbed into the bed with him. He pulled me into him and let me cry. After about a hour of me crying he pulled me away and looked me in the eyes. "Anna promise me you will find someone else to talk to and you will get help from them when I'm gone?" He asked. I knew he was talking about getting away from my foster parents. 

"I promise," I said and held out my pinky. He smiled and wrapped his pinky around mine. I fell back into him. The doctors came in to turn off his life support.

"Anna?" He said so I looked back up at him. "I love you," he said with his voice cracking. That shocked me. I didn't think anyone could love me.

"I love you too," I said barely getting sound to come out. We were staring into each others eyes and before I knew it we were kissing. My first kiss was with the person I loved most, the person who was dying like everyone else I had loved. His parents were in the room, but they didn't seem to care. I layed back down on his chest as he fell asleep. His parents were now right next to us holding his hand. I was crying into him as he slept. His parents eventually fell asleep. I couldn't fall asleep, I wanted this moment to last forever. A couple hours later the line on the monitor he was attached to fell straight and the consistent beeping formed into one long beep. That was is. He was dead. I held onto him tighter and started sobbing. His parents were awake now and they were crying with me. The doctors let me stay there for a while before they took his body away. They pretty much had to pry me off of him when they had to take him. His parents took me back to their house. I slept in his bed. Well I didn't really sleep. I just replayed the night over and over in my head till morning.