Chapter 23

Anna's POV

We are in the car going to Demi's apartment... I can't believe this is happening. The person I have looked up to for so long is going to foster me! What did I do to deserve this? I'm going to do my best not to bother her or put any stress on her even if that means bottling everything up. I've done it before. It's not like it will be any harder this time. She knows most of my problems now anyway. It's not that I don't trust her, it's that I don't want to bother her. I think I'm actually sort of happy at the moment. I beat cancer, won X Factor, and now Demi's taking me home with her? Maybe I do have good luck. I just wish that I hadn't lost so many people that meant the world to me on the way.

I had my head leaned against the window in the car because I was really tired. I think I fell asleep because next thing I know I hit my head and Demi pulled me onto her lap to sleep. Why was she doing this? I'm too heavy to be laying on her lap. I haven't even made it to her apartment yet and I'm already a burden. It's like she read my mind because she started rubbing my arm and the thoughts vanished from my head and I actually felt loved. Who am I kidding? No one would ever love me. Jake was probably even lying when he said he loved me.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by us arriving at Demi's apartment. I was really nervous. I don't know why. I opened my eyes and looked up at Demi. "Well hello sleepy head," she said smiling at me. God, she is so perfect. Why can't I be like her. "We're home," that's when it hit me. This is home now. I sat up even though I didn't really want to move. Demi got out of the car and walked over to my door. I had already opened it and started to get out. "Woah, careful Anna," she said rushing over to me. She obviously thought I couldn't even get out of a car by myself. Great, she's going to try and help me with everything and I'm just going to be a huge problem for her. 

"Demi, I'm fine. I can get out of a car myself!" I shot at her. I didn't mean to get angry, but I was mad at myself so I couldn't help it.

"I know you can, but you're supposed to rest so I'm going to help you whether you like it or not," she said pulling me out of the car. I stood up and my legs almost collasped from underneath me when Demi let go of my to shut the door. I grabbed onto the car so I didn't fall. Demi noticed and she bent down and put her arm around my back to support me. Maybe I really did need her help. "Do you want me to carry you to my apartment?" she asked. I didn't want to make her carry me. I can walk by myself.

"I'm fine, I can walk," I said softly.

"Okay, but if you need to take a break, let me know and I'll carry you," she said looking concerned. She loosened her grip around my back and stood up strait. We walked into the building and went to an elevator. When we got out of the elevator there was only one door on that floor. She went and unlocked the door. She walked in and turned on the lights while still supporting me. When she flipped on the lights a ton of people jumped out.

"Surprise!" they screamed. I started panicking. Everything around me became a blur. What was going on? I don't know, but I'm probably going to die or something,

Demi's POV

I helped Anna get to my apartment. She didn't want help, but she was obviously really weak and tired so I helped her anyway. I turned the light on in my apartment and all the contestants and staff from X Factor jumped out. Anna instantly hid behind me and she was shaking. "What the hell are you doing here?" I asked directing it at Simon. 

"We heard about the good news and we got Natalie to get us a key to you're apartment so we could throw Anna a surprise party," he explained. 

"You could have told me!" I said and shot him a look. I turned around and picked up the trembling Anna and shoved through the mass of people to bring her into my bedroom so she could calm down. We laid on my bed together and I held her in my arms until she calmed down.