Chapter 11

*The day of the first live show*

Demi's POV

It was the day of the first live show and everyone was getting ready. I was pretty confident with all of my acts. I was a little worried about Anna's performance though. She pretty much just got one hour to practice on the stage since on Monday she was like deathly sick from chemo. Yesterday during her practice she seemed really off again. She hasn't talked to me much at all since our very first mentoring session. She just gets so focused on working that she doesn't let me talk to her or have any fun. It's kind of scaring me because that's how I used to be before treatment and I don't want her to end up like that. I don't know how to help her because she won't talk to me and I don't want to push her to talk since she obviously has anxiety. 

After I was finished in hair, makeup, and wardrobe I got to see my girls one last time before they went on. They all seemed a little nervous and exited, except for Anna. She was zoned out and I could tell her anxiety was kicking in. I pulled her off to the side while the other girls stood in a circle nervously chatting like they were gossiping about some hot guy but really they were talking about their performances. "Anna, look at me," She looked up at me with a smile but you could see the pain in her eyes and I had no way to help her. "You're going to be fine, just forget about everybody watching and pretend you're alone," I didn't think I was helping any so I let her go back to the other girls and went back to where the rest of the judges were getting ready to start the show. I wasn't worried about Anna's vocals, but I was worried about the performance aspect of it since she still seemed uncomfortable with the mirrors and the song.

Anna's POV

The show was starting any minute now. Demi had given me and the other girls in my category a pep talk and then she took me off to the side for a minute and gave me another pep talk. I didn't know why she did that. It was probably since I was such a problem in rehearsals passing out and puking and stuff and she was scared that I was going to mess up and get kicked off making her category closer to loosing. I felt sorry for her having me in her category. She honestly made the biggest mistake by choosing me. 

The show had started and I was going to be the last one to sing. I really just wanted to be first and get it over with but it wasn't my choice. My anxiety was getting bad but I managed to not go into an anxiety attack. All the contestants sounded amazing. There weren't many negative comments given by the judges. There was constructive criticism but nothing negative. It was finally my turn to go right after the commercial break so I got in my position on stage and when we went live Demi announced me and they played a little clip of me rehearsing that week and of Demi talking about me. Thankfully they didn't show me passing out or anything, but Demi said something about how she was a little worried about me this week because I hadn't been feeling good. That was embarrassing.

Demi's POV

I was amazed at the talent we had this year. It didn't seem like there was much talent when we were holding the auditions, but now that they are on stage with choreography and everything everybody was amazing. The last performance was up already. It was Anna. We went live and Mario asked me to introduce my act. "My last act of the night is a very special girl with an amazing voice, Anna Brown," The clip they had made from rehearsals was played and then Anna's music started. Her emotion was so sincere and you could tell she had gotten into that mode where she blocks everything out. She was even looking herself in the eye while the mirrors were around her. When the mirrors broke away from her her voice got really powerful. It was amazing how she was so tiny but she could pull you into her performances so easily. The last couple big notes were just amazing. I think everyone was in shock hearing those huge notes come from her little body. As soon as the song ended she snapped out of her mode she was in and back to reality. She plastered a big smile on her face when she saw the standing ovation she has gotten. That was the first standing ovation of the live shows. Pualina started the comments. "Wow, where did that come from?" Anna just giggled. "You completely had me sucked into your performance and your vocals were incredible,"