Chapter 6

Anna's POV

After my audition I went back to Jake's house. I didn't want to go back "home" because I knew what would happen and I didn't want to let anything ruin this day. His family threw a little party for me which was nice, but it was late since I was the last audition of the day so after about an hour spent with his family I went to take a shower. The demons started in my head again. You only got four yes's because of your little pity party you attention whore. You just embarrassed yourself in front of Demi Lovato. She probably hates you and thinks your terrible at singing but you had to go and throw out the cancer card and make her feel sorry for you. She'll never like you, but we will always be here for you. Just one cut will make it all better. I shut them up. I really didn't want to ruin this chance. Maybe they did only say yes out of pity but who cares? I still have another chance to impress them. The razor in the shower was so tempting. I grabbed it and held it over the skin on my hip with tears in my eyes. No stop! I can't do this here. I'm not going to let my demons get the best of me and ruin my day. I got out of the shower and hurriedly dried myself off so I could get away from the temptations. Thankfully everyone in the house was either in bed or getting ready for bed. I went downstairs and fell asleep on the couch.

Anna's Dream

I was 7 and at my dad's house for the first time since the divorce. He had already gotten a new girlfriend. He left me, my brother who was 6, and my sister who was 9 alone with his girlfriends son who was 13. It seemed like forever since he had left. Everyone was asleep but me. I just wanted my daddy back. I heard the door open and ran to it "Daddy! Daddy! You're back! I missed you daddy!"  He turned around putting his hand over my mouth to shut me up. There was a bottle in his other hand and he smelt really bad. He then slapped me keeping his hand over my mouth and sitting the bottle down. I didn't know what I had done wrong. I slumped down and cried. The next thing I knew I wad being dragged into his room. "we're gonna play a game, but you have to keep quite," He whispered. I just nodded. I was terrified I had never seen him like that before. He started undressing me. "Daddy? What are you doing?" 

"I told you to keep quite you worthless brat!" he said angrily under his breath as he threw the glass bottle at me.

I was awaken by Jake. "Come on wake up! you're foster parents are gonna be here any minute to take you to chemo," Jake knew I got mad if he called them my parents so he always made sure to call them my foster parents. I had completely forgotten about chemo. Suddenly a bout of anxiety came over me. I think Jake noticed because he said "I can go with you if you want.  It isn't that bad. You'll be fine," I just nodded my head and then ran and threw on some makeup and braided my hair. I heard a horn outside so me and Jake ran out to the car. I knew they wouldn't hurt me with Jake around so I was thankful he had offered to come. The car smelt like achohol but they didn't seem drunk for once... just hung over. When we got to the hospital they just signed me in and left. Thank God for Jake or else I'd be going through all of this completely alone. Jake held my hand while they stuck the needle into my port that was inserted during the brain surgery. The chemo started and I instantly began to feel sick. I nudged Jake and he knew immediately what I needed. He handed me the puke bucket and rubbed my back and held my hair while my stomach emptied. He called the nurse and they gave me some anti nausea stuff but it didn't really help much. Jake was there every time I needed him and he knew what I needed without me having to tell him. He was such a great friend. I don't know what I did to deserve him. 

One Week Later

Demi's POV

It was the day of the next round of auditions for X Factor. Simon and the producers decided to cut out boot camp this year and we were just going to look through all of the contestants we had said yes to and choose which ones we were gonna keep for the 4 chair chair challenge. The contestants had no idea what was going on. They were all required to be there and once we were finished we'd bring them onto the stage in groups and tell them if they were going through or not. I'm sure some of them were going to freak out since they didn't have a chance to sing again and impress us, but it really sped up the auditioning process.

When I arrived at the venue all of us judges went into a room to discuss who we were keeping. To be honest I wasn't really impressed with most of the people we said yes too. There were a few people that stood out to me still. Simon pulled out the next contestants portfolio. It was Anna's. Immediately I said "Yes! we have to keep her. I bet you she will win the entire thing if we give her a chance," I remembered her performance. She sang flawlessly and she had never sang in front of anyone or had voice lessons. I really, really wanted to mentor her. 

"Are you sure she could handle this competition? I mean she has cancer... what if she like di,"

"Simon!" I cut him off. "Don't think like that. Did you see her performance? She was amazing and she said she would figure something out with her doctors. You could see in her eyes she really wanted this. She had the biggest passion for music I had ever seen," Luckily the other judges agreed with me so it was settled.

Anna's POV

I was sitting in the lobby of the venue for the next round of auditions. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on. The only information they had given us was that we would be called onto the stage in groups. After sitting there trying to block the demons out of my head for a good 4 hours my group finally got called onto the stage.

Demi's POV

The next group was called onto the stage. There were 7 people in this group. Anna was in this group. She was the last to walk on the stage. She looked even tinier next to all of these people. It was adorable. She was looking down at her hands playing with them. You could tell she was nervous and I knew Simon was going to make it worse for her.

"Anna Brown please take two steps forward," Simon said. "I'm sorry Anna but...