Chapter 3

Anna's POV

Morning came and I was practically thrown on a plane alone. I remembered I had saved the sedatives the nurse had given me last night for the long plane ride. I popped them into my mouth and fell asleep for the rest of the plane ride. When I awoke we were landing. I walked off the plane when we were given the okay and started looking for my foster "parents"... great I was a foster kid now too. I didn't know what I was even looking for. Thankfully they had a sign. I walked over to them with the best smile I could muster plastered onto my face. The woman didn't say anything, she just grabbed my arm and started walking out of the airport. When we got into their car which was an old beat up ford mini van I thanked them for what they were doing for me but they just ignored me. Something about them reminded me of my father after my parents got divorced. 

After a very awkward and silent car ride we arrived at the hospital. It was a lot bigger than the one back home. There were colorful murals painted on the walls. We walked up to the receptionist and checked me in. My room was really nice. I had my own bathroom and a big TV. They informed us that there was also a Wii and that I could ask for a game or movie whenever I wanted. I went and sat on the bed waiting for my foster "parents' to start a conversation but instead they just handed me a piece of paper and said "We're just gonna go now that your settled in here's our number if you need anything." I had a bad feeling about them, but it didn't matter because I'd be gone in a couple days anyway. A social worker came in to show me a tour of the oncology ward. Most of the stuff there was for younger kids like the play room and the craft room but then there was a music room/teen lounge. There were guitars lining one wall and there was a piano and a karaoke machine, and a big couch and lots of bean bags. "Not many people use this room, the teens we have here like to hang out in the arcade. The walls in here are soundproof so the music wont disrupt other patients." The lady explained. We continued the tour until we got back to my room.

It was about 8:00 pm and most of the little kids were sleeping so I slid my lyric book into my sweatshirt pocket and walked down to the music room. I sat at the piano and tried to figure out a melody. The melody went perfectly with the words I had in my head I wrote down all the words and before I knew it I had a complete song. I grabbed one of the guitars off the wall and began playing chords and singing the lyrics to the melody I had came up with on the piano. 

"There's a song that's inside of my soul

It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again

I'm awake in the infinite cold, but you sing to me over

And over and over again

So I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray to be only yours

I pray to be only yours

I know now you're my only hope

Sing to me the song of the stars

Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again

When it feels like my dreams are

So far, sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

So I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray to be only yours

I pray to be only yours

I know now you're my only hope

I give you my destiny, I'm giving you all of me

I want your symphony

Singing in all that I am at the top of my lungs

I'm giving it back

So I lay my head back down

And I lift my hands and pray to be only yours

I pray to be only yours

I know now you're my only hope

Mmmm....mmmmm oooooohhhh..ooo"

Jake's POV

Visitor hours had just ended so I was alone. I got up to go to the teen lounge to sit and think. I noticed there was a girl in there. Normally it's empty. She was holding a guitar her arms barely able to wrap around it. She was tiny. Smaller than some 7 year old's I had seen. She had really long dark brown hair that cascaded away from her face in perfect curls. Her hair was covering most of her face. I quietly walked into the room so she didn't hear me. I went and sat on the couch. I listened to her sing. Her voice was like an angel. It was better than anyone I had ever heard before. The song she was singing fit it perfectly. Once she was finished I stood up and clapped. She looked at me shocked. I could now see her face. She had porcelain skin with a few freckles dotted on her nose and cheeks. She had gorgeous bright blue big eyes and and adorable perfect pink lips. 

Anna's POV

"How long have you been here?!" I yelled when a bald boy that looked about 14 started applauding me. I didn't mean to lash out but nobody's ever heard me sing before and I was embarrassed. 

"Since 'I'm awake in the infinite cold'," He replied.

"Sorry I really should go now," I said as I rushed to the door only to be pulled back by him.

"Hi, I'm Jake," He said as he held out his hand for me to shake. Actually looking at him I realized he was really handsome. He had deep brown eyes and a chiseled jaw. He was a lot taller than me, but then again I was only 4' 2" since my anti-depressants stunted my growth when I started taking them. Crap! I hadn't been taking them. "Hi, I'm Jake," he repeated and I realized I just left him standing there with his hand out while I was thinking. So I shook it.

"I'm Anna, but I really need to go," 

"No stay! you're really good!" That made me blush. "Have you ever thought about auditioning for the X Factor or anything?" I love that show... mostly because Demi is on it but still. 

"I'm not good enough for that are you crazy? Plus it's a little late for that and I'd never sing in front of people,"

"You sang in front of me,"

"I'd just like to remind you that I wasn't aware you were in here at the moment," I said jokingly which made him chuckle. 

"What do you mean it's too late for that?" He said so I told him about everything that had happened and told him that I probably would only be alive for 2 more days anyhow.

Jake's POV

Anna was telling me about how she had to have a major surgery in 2 days to remove her tumor. She didn't seem like she was worried about dying or like she even wanted to live which worried me. Then I got an idea. "Hey Anna, I need to go back to my room now, but meet me back here in the morning." We both left the lounge and I headed back to my room. I was really exited about what I was going to do in the morning. 

A/N

I promise Demi is gonna be introduced in the next couple chapters. I just wanted to say that I don't own the lyrics that are above. The credit for those goes to switchfoot and mandy moore.