Chapter 17: We'll Have Pancakes Again Later

The aftermath of the Battle of New York left the corridors of the S.H.I.E.L.D. building busy. Zero, having been involved in strategic matters with Director Fury, became a familiar presence in the bustling hallways. It was during this time that Natasha found herself crossing paths with Zero on several occasions.

Their encounters started off as brief exchanges, mere nods of acknowledgment as they went about their respective duties. However, as time passed, Natasha and Zero began to spend more time together.

Late nights became a common occurrence for Natasha and Zero, with Zero often found at Natasha's side, assisting her with mission reports or asking for her input on strategic plans. Natasha, in turn, appreciated Zero's analytical mind or Zero's offer to help Natasha write her mission reports and in turn Natsha tells her what the mission was about. On rainy days when Zero found herself reluctant to make the journey back to campus, she sought refuge in Natasha's Office , spending hours together, working on reports, sketching, or simply working on her school work.

Their friendship extended beyond the confines of work, with Natasha and Zero sharing meals from late-night takeout or impromptu trips to the gas station for ice cream. But despite the familiarity they developed, Natasha and Zero remained enigmatic to each other, their real names and personal lives shrouded in mystery. 

━━━━━

Somewhere over the Indian Ocean:

"The target is a mobile satellite launch platform: The Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago," Brock briefed.

"Any demands?" Steve inquired.

"A billion and a half," Brock replied.

"Why so steep?" Steve questioned.

"Because it's SHIELD's," Brock explained.

"So it's not off-course, it's trespassing," Steve deduced.

Natasha interjected, "I'm sure they have a good reason."

Just then, Agent Zero chimed in over the comms, her voice firm but with a hint of playfulness. "Enough, boys and Romanoff, Let's focus and get working, please."

Brock greeted her with a chuckle. "Hi, Zero."

"Hello, Rumlow how was the resturant I told you about?" Jenna replied cheerfully.

Brock's face lit up at the mention of their previous conversation. "It was amazing! Thanks for the recommendation."

Zero grinned. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Steve and Natasha exchanged a glance. "You guys are friends?" Steve inquired.

Brock chuckled at their reaction. "Yeah, we've crossed paths a few times," he replied. "She's got this knack for making friends wherever she goes."

Steve and Natasha responds, "Oh we know.".

As they readied themselves to dive off the jet, Steve swiftly activated a secure channel.

"Secure channel seven," Steve communicated through his wrist communicator, his voice resolute.

"Seven secure. Did you do anything fun Saturday night?" Natasha teased, her tone playful.

Steve chuckled softly before responding, "Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so... No, not really."

"Coming up by the drop zone, Cap," the pilot's voice crackled over the radio, signaling their approach.

Natasha couldn't resist. "Then who were those two girls I saw you and Sam talking too?"

Steve's response "Just some college kids I accident ran into"