Chapter 70: I didn't Mean Too

May 3, 2013

As the team gathered around the table, Wanda casually added sugar to her cup of coffee, stirring it thoughtfully. She glanced around the room, her mind already assessing the situation.

"All right, what do you see?" Steve's voice crackled through.

Wanda glanced around, taking in the details of the scene outside. "Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target," she reported.

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means..." Steve prompted.

"Cameras," Wanda interjected.

"Both cross streets are one way" Steve continued.

"So, compromised escape routes," Wanda concluded.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" Steve directed.

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute," Wanda remarked casually.

Meanwhile, Natasha situated not far from Wanda, chimed in over the radio. "It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda quipped.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," Natasha advised.

Sam's voice cut through the conversation. "Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?"

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" Natasha smirked.

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him," Steve reminded them all.

"If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us." Sam remarked.

A garbage truck plowed through the traffic, drawing everyone's attention. Steve wasted no time in giving orders. "Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it."

Sam launched a small drone from the back of his Falcon jet pack, which swooped down to scan the truck. "Give me X-ray," he requested.

The analysis came back swiftly. "Cargo Weight: 13825 kgs. Max capacity" Sam reported.

"That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed," he concluded.

"It's a battering ram," Natasha deduced.

"Go now," Steve commanded, his decision made.

"What?" Wanda questioned, momentarily taken aback.

"He's not hitting the police" Steve clarified.

Chaos erupted as the garbage truck smashed through the gate. Soldiers clad in black armor poured out, their rifles blazing as they stormed the compound.

Steve sprang into action, swiftly dispatching several of the hostile soldiers with practiced ease. "Body armor, AR-15's. I make seven hostiles," he reported succinctly.

Sam Wilson soared into the fray, his wings unfurling to deflect gunfire as he swiftly neutralized two more adversaries. "I make 5," he declared.

As the battle raged on, each member of the team played their part, their skills honed through 

Wanda flew over the rooftop. With a wave of her hand, she deflected incoming fire. Spotting a soldier, she called out to Sam, who swooped down to catch the airborne threat on his wing.

"Four" Sam announced.

As his drone scanned the building, Sam relayed crucial information. "Rumlow's on the third floor," he reported.