Chapter 22: Unexpected Detour

As the van rumbled along the road, the weight of their recent ordeal hung heavy in the air. Steve's voice broke the uneasy silence, his words heavy with a sense of disbelief and betrayal. "It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me," Steve murmured, his tone laced with a mixture of confusion and hurt.

Sam's brow furrowed in thought. "How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago," he mused.

Steve's gaze drifted into the distance, lost in memories of a bygone era. "Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..." His voice trailed off.

Natasha's voice cut through the tense atmosphere, her words a comforting reassurance amidst the turmoil. "None of that's your fault, Steve," she interjected.

Steve's eyes flickered with a hint of sadness as he spoke, his voice tinged with regret. "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky."

But before they could dwell further on their conversation, Sam's sharp observation drew their attention to Natasha's injury. "We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck," he insisted.

Suddenly, one of the guards sprang into action, wielding an electric rod to neutralize her companion before revealing herself as Maria Hill, shedding her helmet with a sigh of relief.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain," Maria remarked, her casual demeanor contrasting with the gravity of their situation. Sam glanced at her.

"Who's this guy?" Maria inquired, turning to Steve for an explanation.

---

As Zero sped along the road in the stolen car, she gripped the steering wheel tightly, her knuckles turning white with tension as she mulled over the options.  Her mind raced with a whirlwind of thoughts and worries. She couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her insides. Her focus shifted entirely to Natasha, whose condition weighed heavily on her mind. The image of Natasha bleeding out flashed before her eyes, sending a wave of guilt crashing over her. "I should've ignored her," Zero muttered to herself, her voice laced with self-blame. She couldn't shake the nagging feeling that she had made the wrong choice, that she had prioritized herself over Natasha's well-being.

Suddenly, a commotion up ahead caught her attention. Four figures tumbled out from under a truck, causing Zero to slam on the brakes with a sharp gasp. "Jesus Christ!" she exclaimed, her heart pounding in her chest as she recognized the familiar faces of Natasha, Steve, Sam, and Maria. Relief flooded through her at the sight of them. Getting out of the stolen car Zero hurried over to where Natasha, Steve, Sam, and Maria lay sprawled on the ground, she took in the sight before her with a mix of relief and concern. Natasha was clutching her wounded shoulder, blood seeping through her fingers, while Steve and Sam were quickly scrambling to their feet, assessing their surroundings with a sense of urgency. Maria, on the other hand, seemed dazed but relatively unharmed.

"Are you guys okay?" Zero's voice trembled with worry as she knelt down beside Natasha, her eyes scanning over the group for any signs of serious injury. "What happened?"

Natasha winced as she shifted position, her face contorted with pain. "We're fine," she replied through gritted teeth, her voice strained but resolute. "Just a little... unexpected detour."

Sam chimed in, his tone tense but focused. "We need to keep moving," he urged, casting a wary glance at the surrounding area. "We're sitting ducks out here."

As Zero helped Natasha into the car she turned to check on Maria, Leaning in close, she whispered, "Mia, are you okay?"

Maria smile, "I'm fine," she assured Zero, "But we've got to keep moving."