Chapter 40: A Blast From The Past

TW: Violence , Abuse, Trauma, Death, Manipulation
---
In the Avengers tower Maria relayed, "He's all over the globe. Robotics labs, weapons facilities, jet propulsion labs, reports of a metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place"

Steve's brow furrowed in thought. "Fatalities?" he inquired.

"Only when engaged. Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see" Maria replied.

"That's a negative. I answer to you. Yes, ma'am," Clint spoke into the phone before Steve interrupted him.

"Barton, we might have something," Steve interjected.

Clint quickly ended the call, "Gotta go."

Curiosity piqued, Tony "Who was that?" he inquired.

Barton shrugged nonchalantly. "Girlfriend," he replied with a smirk, his attention already focused on Steve's next move.

With the team assembled, Steve revealed the grim evidence before them - a photo of Strucker's lifeless body, the word "PEACE" scrawled in blood beside him.

"What's this?" Stark questioned, his tone laced with skepticism.

"A message. Ultron killed Strucker," Steve clarified, his voice tinged with solemnity.

The sight was enough to make Zero's stomach churn, her expression contorting in disgust as she fought back the urge to retch. "That's... disgusting," she muttered, her gaze fixated on the gruesome image before her.

Natasha noticed Zero's discomfort and moved to her side, offering a comforting gesture. Placing a hand on Zero's back, Natasha rubbed soothing circles.

Natasha cut through the tension, "This is a smokescreen. Why send a message when you've just given a speech?" she reasoned, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Steve's mind worked quickly, piecing together the puzzle before them. "Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss". Maria observed Zero closely, her gaze flickering with concern every time Strucker's name was mentioned. Ever since the mission to Sokovia , Zero had been noticeably on edge, her usual composure frayed by the memory of their encounter. The subtle shifts in her demeanor, the way her eyes darkened with a hint of apprehension whenever Strucker's name was mentioned - it all spoke volumes of the weight she carried.

As the team delved deeper into Strucker's known associates, Tony's keen eye caught sight of a familiar face in the photo - Ulysses Klaue, a name from his past, a man with connections to Wakanda.

"There are conventions, alright? You meet people, I didn't sell him anything," Stark hastily clarified, feeling the weight of Steve's accusatory gaze.

Thor, ever perceptive, pointed out a distinctive scar on Klaue's neck. "What's this?".

"It's a tattoo. I don't think he had it..." Stark began, but Banner quickly identified it as a brand, a mark of dishonor in the Wakandan culture.

"If this guy got out of Wakanda with some of their trade goods..." Stark trailed off.

Steve, holding his iconic shield, turned to Stark with a sense of urgency. "Where is this guy now?".

In the dimly lit office of Ulysses Klaue, tension hung thick in the air as the twins confronted the arms dealer. Klaue's smug demeanor faltered slightly as the twins entered, his attempts at intimidation falling flat in the face of their enhanced abilities. "Yeah. The enhanced. Strucker's prize pupils," Klaue remarked casually, offering them a dish of candies as if to ease the tension. But Wanda's steely gaze betrayed her unease as she listened to Klaue's ramblings.