Chapter 72: He Never Fought Fair

In the cathedral a coffin, draped with the Union Jack. A photograph bore the name "Margaret 'Peggy' Carter".

Steve turned to face Natasha and Jenna. Without preamble, he began to speak, "When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her" Steve confessed.

"She had you back, too" Natasha replied softly.

"Who else signed?" Steve's voice broke the heavy silence.

Natasha met his gaze with a solemn nod, "Tony. Rhodey. Vision" she replied.

Jenna, who had been listening nearby, couldn't help but interject. "Why does Vision get a vote? He's barely here."

Natasha shot her a stern look, shoving Jenna's face away lightly to silence her. "Shush" she said, but a small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

The mention of Clint prompted a faint smile from Natasha. "Says he's retired" she added.

Steve turned towards Jenna, "What about you?" Steve inquired.

Jenna met Steve's gaze with a small smile, "Not signing. I been retired." she replied.

"You guys okay with not agreeing?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern for their well-being.

Jenna met Steve's gaze with a reassuring smile, her hand reaching out to intertwine with Natasha's. "We'll be okay" she replied.

Natasha squeezed Jenna's hand in silent agreement "We've faced worse" she added.

"Wanda?" he inquired.

 "TBD" she replied simply, her gaze drifting to the floor for a moment before meeting Steve's eyes once more. "we're off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet with us."

"Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path," Natasha reasoned, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

Steve's skepticism was evident as he questioned the sacrifices they were being asked to make. "What are we giving up to do it?" he pressed.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it" Steve's admission hung in the air.

"I know" she whispered softly.

Natasha pulled Steve into a hug. "We didn't want you to be alone" Natasha confessed.

In the Quinjet, Natasha turned her seat to face Jenna, a small smirk playing at the corners of her lips. She reached into a nearby compartment and retrieved a sleek black mask, its design reminiscent of Jenna's old one.

"Here" Natasha said as she handed the mask to Jenna. "I asked Tony to remake it for you to look like your old mask."

Jenna's eyes widened in surprise as she took the mask from Natasha's outstretched hand, "You did not" Jenna exclaimed. "You're obsessed with my old mask, aren't you, Romanoff?".

Natasha simply smiled in response, a playful glint dancing in her eyes. "Shut up and get it on" she urged, her voice tinged with anticipation. "We're about to land."

━━━━━

Natasha and T'Challa found themselves in a moment of quiet conversation. Zero sat with a lollipop in hand, her gaze flickering between Natasha and T'Challa.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight" T'Challa remarked, his gaze sweeping over the bustling crowd.

Natasha offered a wry smile in response. "Oh, well, it's not always so flattering."