Chapter 23: Experiment 013

Note:I forgot to hit publish on the chapter before this its called "unexpected detour" I did the same thing for the chapter "Hungover" too if you missed them both I am so sorry. On another note I promised some Jenna history.

━━━━━

Steve's voice echoed through the corridors, commanding attention and authority. "Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down, But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader," Steve declared "The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control," Steve warned, his voice tinged with urgency. "They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay, And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

As the team dispersed, Zero made her way to the the control room, chaos erupted as Rumlow and his men stormed in, guns drawn and ready for action. Agent 13 stood her ground, her gun trained on Rumlow as he approached one of the techs.

"Preempt the launch sequence. Send those ships up now," Rumlow ordered, his voice dripping with authority.

The tech hesitated visibly, his hands shaking with nervousness. Rumlow's gaze hardened, his patience wearing thin. "Is there a problem?" he demanded.

"I'm... I'm sorry, sir," the tech stammered, his voice trembling with fear. "I'm not gonna launch those ships. Captain's orders."

Rumlow's expression darkened as he leveled his gun at the tech's head. "Move away from your station," he commanded, his tone cold and menacing.

But before Rumlow could carry out his threat, Agent 13 intervened, her own gun aimed squarely at him. "Like he said!" she declared,"Captain's orders."

Rumlow's eyes narrowed as he regarded Agent 13, a dangerous glint in his gaze. "You picked the wrong side, Agent," he growled. Agent 13 remained undaunted, her stance steady despite the threat before her. "Depends on where you're standing," she countered, her voice filled with conviction. As Rumlow's menacing gaze locked onto Agent 13, a sudden interruption came from an unexpected source. Zero stepped forward, his expression a mix of faux distress and exaggerated disappointment. "Rumlow, you're breaking my heart," Zero exclaimed dramatically, her tone dripping with sarcasm. "I told you about my secret favorite restaurant, and now you're working for Hydra? I thought we had something special."

Rumlow's eyes narrowed further as he regarded Zero, a hint of surprise crossing his features,  "Listen, kid, it's not personal," he retorted, his tone gruff but with a touch of remorse.

But Zero wasn't about to let up on the act. "Feels kind of personal to me," she quipped, her tone light but with an underlying edge. While Rumlow was momentarily distracted, Agent 14 seized the opportunity to discreetly disarm him, slipping the gun from him.

But before anyone could react, he drew a knife and slashed at Agent 13, cutting her arm. The room erupted into chaos as SHIELD agents drew their weapons, surrounding Rumlow with a ring of guns pointed at him. With a swift, well-timed kick, Zero knocked Rumlow off balance, causing him to stumble backward.

"Listen, kid, I don't want to fight you," Rumlow protested, his voice strained with effort as he struggled to regain his footing.

But Zero was already in the midst of the fray, her determination overriding any hesitation. "Oh, I kinda came here looking for a fight," she retorted with a smirk, "Seems like we're at an overpass."