Chapter 44: You Didn't See That Coming

As Clint guided Wanda into the safety of the building, Zero suddenly appeared amidst the chaos, she unleashed her power, melting five robots nearby into puddles of molten metal. Clint glanced at her with gratitude. "Thanks," he acknowledge. Clint swiftly guided Wanda into a nearby building, his voice steady and reassuring. "Go, go, move!" he urged, his eyes scanning their surroundings for any sign of danger.

Zero, panting slightly from the exertion, nodded in response as she tried to catch her breath. As she attempted to enter the building, Clint's curiosity got the better of him. "I didn't know you could do that," he remarked, his tone filled with genuine surprise. But then realization dawned on Clint, his eyes widening in sudden understanding. "Wait, the melted guns during the mission...that was you??" he exclaimed, his voice incredulous. "You have fire power??"

"It's called pyrokinetic synthesis, but we don't have to get technical," Zero replied, offering a brief explanation with a hint of a smile. Leaning over slightly, she waved at Wanda, her expression friendly despite the intensity of the situation. "Hi, Wanda," she greeted warmly, her voice cutting through the chaos of the battlefield.

Wanda's distress was evident as she began to break down, grappling with the weight of the situation. "How could I let this happen?" she lamented, her voice trembling with emotion.

Clint's response was firm yet compassionate as he sought to comfort her. "Hey, hey, you okay?" he asked, his gaze gentle as he met her eyes.

With a sense of guilt weighing heavily on her shoulders, Wanda voiced her self-blame. "This is all our fault," she confessed, her voice filled with anguish.

But Clint's words were a grounding force amidst the turmoil. "Hey, look at me. It's your fault, it's everyone's fault, who cares. Are you up for this? Are you? Look, I just need to know, cause the city is flying. Okay, look, the city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. And Zero over here is a human campfire. None of this makes sense. But I'm going back out there because it's my job. Okay? And I can't do my job and babysit. It doesn't matter what you did, or what you were. If you go out there, you fight, and you fight to kill. Stay in here, you're good, I'll send your brother to come find you, but if you step out that door, you are an Avenger. he implored, his tone unwavering. Wanda remained silent, processing Clint's words as he prepared to leave. With a nod of acknowledgment, Clint rose to his feet, his resolve unyielding. "Alright, good chat," he remarked casually before turning to leave. "Yeah, the city is flying."

As he ventured back into the fray, Clint's bow drawn and ready, Wanda watched him go, a newfound determination stirring within her. With a deep breath, she stepped out of the building, her powers surging forth as she took out the robot infront of her.

"I'm gonna go help Steve," Zero declared, determination etched in her features as she glanced at Clint. "You got her?" Zero added, referring to Wanda, "I think she's got me, actually," he muttered to himself, acknowledging the unexpected power he had just witnessed.

Natasha and Zero joined Steve and Tony "Romanoff! Zero!" Steve called out, his tone a mixture of relief and urgency.

With a faint smile, Natasha glanced over at Zero. Zero's response was more subdued, a simple nod accompanied by a quiet "Hi," devoid of the usual warmth in her tone. Natasha's smile faltered slightly at the lack of reciprocation, but she quickly masked any hint of disappointment.

Tony interjected, his voice tinged with urgency. "Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice."

But Natasha remained resolute. "Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock..."

Steve cut her off firmly, his commitment to protecting civilians unwavering. "Not 'til everyone's safe."

Natasha met his gaze evenly, her determination matching his own. "Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there."