Chapter 34: Better late than never, right?

It was 1 a.m, and she couldn't shake the thoughts that had kept her awake, swirling like a tempest in her mind. She tossed and turned, her thoughts consumed by Jenna. Did Jenna like her back? Will Jenna like her back? 

But it wasn't just about Jenna's feelings. It was about the way Jenna cared for her, the way she listened and understood in a way that no one else did. Does a friend really care about you the way Jenna did? The uncertainty gnawed at her, casting doubt on everything she thought she knew.

The floorboards creaked beneath her cautious steps as Natasha made her way down the hallway. Despite the late hour and the weight of her thoughts, she pressed on, driven by a relentless need to unburden herself. She needed answers, even if they brought more questions in their wake.

She scribbled a hasty note, leaving it on the kitchen counter where Clint would surely find it in the morning. "Went to confess, don't bother me. Stole your car. - Nat :)" She hesitated for a moment, her hand hovering over the words. It felt strangely liberating to be so direct, even if it was in a note left behind in the dead of night.

With the keys to Clint's car clutched tightly in her hand, Natasha slipped out into the cool night air. The engine roared to life as she drove through the winding roads, the only sound piercing the silence of the night.

As the lights of the tower loomed in the distance, drawing her like a moth to a flame. Natasha's hands trembled as she parked the car haphazardly outside the tower . She didn't bother to turn off the engine or close the door behind her, her only focus on the task ahead.

She burst into the lab, her breath coming in short, ragged gasps. Zero lay face down on the desk, his steady breaths the only sound in the room. Natasha's heart swelled at the sight of her.

As Zero slowly woke from her slumber, she felt a weight on her head and a soft warmth nearby. Blinking groggily, she lifted her head and saw Natasha standing beside her, breathless and laughing softly. There was a piece of paper stuck to her forehead, and Natasha reached out to gently peel it off.

"Oh you're back?" Zero mumbled, her voice still heavy with sleep, as Natasha unfolded the crumpled paper.

Zero chuckled, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she looked up at Natasha, who appeared slightly disheveled and out of breath. "Did you run a marathon or something?" she joked, a playful smile dancing on her lips.

Natasha shook her head, still chuckling softly. "No, just need to do something important" she explained, her voice gentle and warm.

They lingered there for a moment, the air filled with a comfortable silence as they looked at each other. Then, without a word, Natasha took Zero's hand and led her out of the lab and down the hallway to her room. Zero followed without hesitation.
---
In the dimly lit room, Natasha and Zero stood facing each other, their hands still intertwined. Natasha's gaze lingered on Zero's masked face. With a hesitant yet determined movement, she reached out and gently brushed her hand over the side of Zero's mask.

The mask retracted with a soft hiss, revealing Jenna's features underneath. Jenna blinked in confusion, her expression a mix of surprise and curiosity. "What are you doing?" she asked, her voice tinged with amusement.

Natasha's heart raced as she met Jenna's gaze. "I... I wanted to see your face," she admitted softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Jenna's eyes softened.

There was a tender silence between them, filled with unspoken words and shared emotions. Natasha's chest tightened with the weight of her own unspoken truth, the words threatening to spill out at any moment.

Finally, summoning all her courage, Natasha took a deep breath and met Jenna's gaze head-on. "There's something I need to tell you," she began, her voice steady despite the fluttering in her chest. "I... I like you. More than just as a friend."