Chapter 71: You Won't Lose Me

An: Zero is back

━━━━━

Tony Stark stood outside Jenna's and Natasha's door, a sense of urgency etched on his face. He rapped his knuckles against the sturdy wood, waiting impatiently for a response.

Moments later, the door swung open, revealing Natasha standing before him, her expression guarded. Beside her, Jenna looked on.

"Ross is here" Tony announced, his voice low and urgent. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a mask, tossing it to Jenna with a knowing look. "You might want to put that on."

Jenna caught the mask, her brow furrowing in confusion. But as she glanced at Natasha, she saw the gravity of the situation reflected in her Nat's eyes. Without another word, she slipped the mask over her face.

Natasha couldn't help but tease her with a playful smirk. "I liked your other mask better" she remarked.

Jenna rolled her eyes in response, a faint chuckle escaping her lips. "Let's go, you weirdo" she retorted, nudging Natasha gently as they followed Tony out the door.

The Secretary of State,  Ross, stood at the head of a long table, his stern expression casting a shadow over the gathered Avengers. 

Ross's voice cut through the silence, he addressed the group. "Five years ago, I had a heart attack" he began "I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective."

"The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt," he continued. "You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

Natasha interjected. "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

Ross's gaze hardened as he responded, "How about 'dangerous'?" he retorted. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

As Ross activated a screen behind him, images of past Avengers and SHIELD missions flashed across the screen, each one a stark reminder of the consequences of their actions.

"New York" Ross stated, his voice somber as footage of the Chitauri invasion filled the screen.

The Avengers watched in silence as the images continued, each one more haunting than the last. Washington DC, Sokovia, Lagos—the devastation was undeniable.

But it was the footage from Lagos that hit home the hardest. Wanda could barely bring herself to look at the screen. Jenna scooted over, closing the gap between them. She offered her hand to Wanda.

"Okay. That's enough" Steve declared, his gaze steady as he met Ross's eyes.

With a nod from Ross, the images disappeared, but the tension in the room remained palpable. Ross wasted no time in presenting his solution—the Sokovia Accords.

"Approved by 117 countries, the Accords stated that the Avengers would no longer operate as a private organization. Instead, they would be under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only acting when and if deemed necessary."

Steve voiced his concerns. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

But Ross was quick to point out the flaws in Steve's argument. "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" he questioned.