Chapter 4 - Update

The next Saturday morning, September 12, I decided to go to see Jacob for the first time in over a year. I told Mrs. Smith I was going and she would have to take care of Kaely, if that was okay. She said it was fine, and I began walking towards the prison. It was about a half a mile away, so it didn't bother me much.

When I got there, I walked into the room and sat on one side of the glass. An officer brought Jacob in. He sat down on the opposite side of the glass and began talking.

"Hey Chloe.." He kind-of smiled.

"Hey Jacob," I said back.

"I've been getting your letters and pictures. I got new pictures just Tuesday. Who is this in this one picture? Is that Irwin?" He asked, showing me the picture I took of Ashton holding Kaely after she took her first steps.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"We were good friends when we were younger."

"Oh, he hasn't said anything about knowing you."

He ignored my comment, saying, "Kaely is so adorable.. I can't believe she's our child. It seems weird to think that, huh?"

"Yeah.. She's said her first words already.. And walked."

"Wow.. What was her first word?"

"Dada. Then a few days ago, on Tuesday, she said mumma"

"I can't believe it's almost her first birthday."

"Yep. About another month" I said, thinking how she was almost a year old..

"It seems like so much longer than a year for me, but I bet it seems less than a year for you."

"Yeah. It seems like a few days ago, I was in the hospital, waiting for her.." I laughed.

"I bet," he sighed, "so how is it going between school and Kaely?"

"I have a babysitter three days of the week, my aunt and uncle one day, and your grandma another day."

"That's good. I can't wait until I get out and I can see Kaely in person."

"Mhm" I said, thinking of what Ashton said, "I'm not letting him get anywhere near you again. And I'm not going to let him get near Kaely"

"Most of the time, what I do in my cell is think about you and Kaely. I think about our life together once I get out-"

"You think we're just going to be one big happy family once you get out? I'm still thinking about letting you even be in Kaely's life, I never said I'd marry you and we'd be a family. I never said that, not once. I said last time that I'd think about you being in Kaely's life, okay? I'm still not sure if I'll let that happen, though."

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I didn't know that you don't feel the same. I think we need to be together, for us and for Kaely. She needs to have a father figure."

"Lots of kids grew up without fathers, including Ashton. I'm just saying, not every child needs to grow up with a dad. Ashton had no dad and turned out fine, but better than fine.. He turned out amazing."

"You don't think Kaely needs a father figure?"

"She already has a few. I go to a youth group every Sunday night and take her there. The boys there treat her like family and love her. She's perfectly fine. And if she can live her first three or four years without a dad, I think she'll be okay if she doesn't have a dad the rest of her life, but she will have a father figure"

"And who will that be? Not me?" He asked, and we were interrupted by the door opening behind me.

"Babe!!" Ashton yelled from behind me, and I then knew that Jacob was not going to be happy about our relationship.