Chapter 16 - Oliver Thomas

"Grace Smith?" I asked him to be sure.

"Yeah, that's her," he confirmed.

"Okay.." I said quietly and yelled for Mrs. Smith who was in the kitchen. She came rushing out to see what was going on.

"Oliver?" She asked.

"Hello.." He said, and walked in without being invited in.

"What are you doing here?" She asked him.

"For some reason, I wasn't told for two or so years that I have a granddaughter. I visited Jacob in prison a few days ago, and he told me about his daughter. Said she lived here with you and her mother."

"Yes, she does. Chloe, meet Oliver, Jacob's father," Mrs. Smith introduced us.

"Hi," I said quietly, "it's nice to meet you.."

"Thanks. Now, I want to see my granddaughter. Where is she?"

"You're not seeing her."

"Chloe-" Mrs. Smith tried to stop me.

"No, Mrs. Smith," I stopped her instead, "You're going nowhere near my little girl. She's not Jacob's daughter. She will never be his daughter. Maybe biologically, but to me, he'll never be her father. I don't want a drug addict like you anywhere near my daughter."

"Chloe, it'll be okay. I won't hurt her, I promise. I just want to see my granddaughter. I just want to meet her.. Please?" Oliver begged, and I walked into the living room. I motioned for Ashton to come out, that it was alright.

He walked out behind me, and Oliver's mouth dropped when he saw her. Ashton brought her a little closer, but I stopped him. Oliver wanted to see her. He wasn't holding her, though.

"Can I see her?" He asked, reaching his hands out to her. Ashton backed away, and I told Oliver, "you are seeing her right now. You can see her, can't you?"

"Chloe, please. Can I hold her?"

"I don't know.. Can you?"

"May I hold her?"

"No. Who can trust you, when you're a drug addict? You can never trust a drug addict."

"I'm not a drug addict.."

"He's an alcoholic," Mrs. Smith informed me.

"Still, I can't trust you. You were even terrible with your own son. How can I trust you with your granddaughter?"

"Please, Chloe. I just want to hold her for a minute."

"No.. She's mine. I don't think of her as your granddaughter. I think of her as mine and Ashton's, because he's the only father figure for her," I explained, looking at Ashton because Oliver might not have known who Ashton was.

Mrs. Smith walked over and took Kaely out of Ashton's hands, then placed her in Oliver's.

"Mrs-"

"No, Chloe.. I know how I would've felt if I wasn't allowed to see any of my grandchildren. I'm not doing the same to Oliver," Mrs. Smith explained.

"Oliver, why'd you even start drinking anyways?" I wondered.

"When my wife died, I was sad. I needed something to fill the empty space I had. I replaced it with alcohol."

"And because you were an addict, your son became destructive and was sent to jail twice."

"Yeah, I know."

"Well, my parents were drug and alcohol addicts too. They stopped. So can you."

"How? I can't stop."

"They were in rehab for a long time, but they stopped eventually. If you go into rehab, you can stop like they did."

"Okay.. I'll look into it. I've tried to stop. I just can't, but I'll try," he put Kaely down then left. I was surprised at what he did. I couldn't believe it.

~

There's going to be a lot of skips after this chapter.. Sorry if you don't like skips in stories:(