Chapter 20 - Mrs. Smith

"Babe... What's wrong?" I asked her, running towards her.

"It's Mrs. Smith.." She replied, almost crying. I jumped in the passengers seat of her car before she began to speed off.

"Is she alright?"

"I don't know. It was a drunk driver.. They hit her straight on," she was still crying.

"I'm so sorry, babe."

"I need to call my parents.. Can you call my parents?"

"Yeah," I assured her and grabbed my cell phone.

Her dad's number was the only one that I remembered, so I dialed that one in, and soon, he picked up.

"Ashton?" He asked when he picked up the phone.

"Hey Travis," I said.

"Is there something wrong?" He wondered.

"Well, we need you to keep Kaely tonight at your house if that's alright?"

"Ashton, what is going on?" He was concerned.

"It's Mrs. Smith.. She's been in an accident. We'll call you later. I don't know how much longer we'll have cell service."

"Okay.. Well, tell Chloe I'm praying for her. We'll keep Kaely as long as you need us to."

"Okay. Thanks Travis. I'll update you guys later," I told him before hanging up.

"What did he say?" Chloe was anxious to know what her dad said.

"He said that he's praying for you and Mrs. Smith. They can keep Kaely as long as we need them to, too."

"Okay. Good," she refocused her eyes on the road.

------

Soon, we were close to the hospital Mrs. Smith was at. When we got there moments later, Chloe parked quickly and ran inside. I ran after her, of course.

We got in there to see her son waiting in the waiting room. He told us that the doctor could be out any minute with news. All of her family was concerned. They didn't know what was going to happen. There was a fifteen percent chance she'd live. The car hit her pretty straight on, and it hit her hard.

A few minutes later, the doctor came towards us with his clipboard. He looked at all of Mrs. Smith's family there and asked, "Grace Smith's family, correct?"

"Correct," her son answered.

"Well, I am so sorry about this, but Mrs. Smith has passed away.." The doctor announced. Chloe broke down crying, even worse than some of her other family.

I put my arm around Chloe, trying to comfort her. She cried into my chest. I felt so bad for her. I hated seeing her like this.

"Why?" She looked up, "why do bad things happen to good people?" She cried to me.

"Chloe, God took Mrs. Smith for a reason.. Trust me on this one," I assured her. It might've helped slightly, but not much.

"I don't know, Ashton," she whispered, "why... Why.."

"She's in a better place now, Chloe. Babe, please.."

"I'm sorry Ash," she cried, looking up at me.

"Baby, I love you. You still have me, and I'm not leaving."

"Thank you, babe. I love you," she continued crying, but not as hard. I felt so bad for her. I didn't like to see her in pain. This was terrible.