Chapter 29 - Devin

I heard the doorknob being turned. The door was opened split-seconds later. There stood a man, about six-foot-three. He had jet-black hair, all spiked up nicely (pic above). He had a soft, yet semi-deep voice.

"Hey," he smiled.

"Hi. I'm Chloe, your half-sister," I introduced myself.

"I was thinking that's who you were. Come in!"

"Thank you," I muttered.

"Alexia!!" He called into his apartment as we walked in.

"Yeah, Devin?" A woman about his age walked out from the hallway.

"This is my half-sister, Chloe. Chloe, this is my girlfriend, Alexia," he introduced us to each other.

"It's nice to meet you," she hugged me.

"You as well," I smiled, and she walked back into the hallway.

"Sit," Devin motioned for me to sit beside him on his couch.

"So, how have you been?" I asked.

"Great. I just met my dad about a month ago that I had never known about."

"Yeah, my dad too."

"He's really nice."

"He is. Actually, he was a drug and alcohol addict for about five and a half years. He's been drug and alcohol free for about four years now."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"What made him start into drugs and alcohol in the first place?"

"I'm not actually sure."

"Well then what made him stop?"

"Him and my mum were both into them, and they both realized that I needed parents, and that I would need help in my life."

"What did you do in those five years? You would've been nine when they started?"

"Eight. And I was a mini adult. I worked for my neighbors to make money for everything I needed."

"Oh my god. Was it hard?"

"Really. It got easier when I moved in with one of my neighbors. She took me in, and she was like a grandma to me."

"I'm sorry for your loss. I'm guessing she passed."

"She did. It's alright."

"Well, I don't have a great past, really. My mum met my stepdad when I was two, then they got married when I was four. My mum had my half-brother when I was five. I graduated high school, and I'm in my second year of college now."

"That's good. When did you meet Alexia?"

"I met her about a year ago in college. She's a year behind me. Also, I saw that you have an engagement ring on? You're only eighteen, right?"

"I am. I'm newly engaged, just last night. My fiancé is in the car if you'd like to meet him."

"Could I?"

"Of course."

I got out my phone and called down to Ashton. He picked it up and immediately asked about how it was going, even though he didn't know who I was talking to.

"It's good. He wants to meet you. You can bring mum, dad, and Kaely too. I think he'd like to meet mum and Kaely too."

"Okay. We'll be up in a few minutes."

"See you then babe.. Bye."

"Bye Chlo," he said before hanging up.

I hung up also and turned back to Devin.