Chapter 39 - Body

I froze, "what?"

"We've found a female body that was dumped off of the side of the road. We know that the woman has been dead for around five days, according to how decomposed it is. We are not completely sure it is her, but it looks to be around her age range. About how tall is Miss Walters?"

"Five six, maybe five seven."

"It seems to be anywhere from five three to five eight. The body has already been taken in for DNA testing and should be back in about 48 hours. We will inform you further when we get more information."

"Thank you," I hung up. I was now crying. That was not the news I wanted. Kaely looked over at me, worried.

"What's wrong, daddy?" She asked.

"Nothing, baby. Daddy is just worried."

"Worried about what?"

"Don't worry about it, sweetie."

"When's mummy coming home?"

"I really don't know right now. I'll tell you soon."

"Okay."

Her attention was focused back on the show. I really didn't want to think that Chloe was dead. What if she wasn't? If she isn't, is she okay? Where is she? Who is she with at the moment? What is she doing, or what is happening to her? Is still mad at me?

I couldn't sleep that night thanks to the police department. They never had good news for me, did they?

------

The next morning, I took Kaely to school and kissed her goodbye. She looked as if she was thinking.

"What are you thinking about, Kaely?" I asked.

"I miss mummy," she told me, almost crying.

"I do too, baby, but don't cry. We'll see mummy soon."

"Promise?" She asked. I couldn't promise her that we'd see Chloe soon..

"I'll see you later, Kaely," I kissed her forehead and sent her off.

She walked towards the school, and I got back into the car. After I got home, I walked into Chloe's bedroom. I made my way into her closet. I looked at everything of hers. I cried my eyes out. I'd never get to see her again. I'd never get to touch her again. I'd never get to hear her again, and I missed her voice. I have not heard her speak to me since late February. She had been mad at me ever since. I need to think of the positive, not the negative. My mind just went straight to the negative.

For over half of the time I was home alone, I cried in the room. I didn't want to let go. I just couldn't, and I know for sure that I couldn't tell her parents or Kaely. I'm sure her parents got a call also. They hadn't called me at all, that is, until two in the afternoon.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Ashton.. Did you hear?" Audrey had obviously been crying.

"I did.. But I've been trying to think of the positive. It could not be her."

"It also could be her.."

"Just don't think about that. Think that she's still out there. You never know, she still could be."

"I want her to be."

"Audrey, I'm so scared right now. Last night when they called, I began crying. Kaely asked me what was wrong. I don't know how I'll tell her if that is Chloe.."

"How about you don't worry about that right now. We will wait until we get the results from the DNA testing."

"I'll try not to. Thanks Audrey."

"Thank you, Ashton," she hung up. I really wanted Chloe right beside me right now.

------

After getting Kaely off of the bus the next day, we went inside. She got a snack, and she went into the living room to watch her cartoons.

I joined her soon, and only left when it was time to make dinner. I just made a sandwich for Kaely and one for me. That's another reason I wanted Chloe home. She was a way better cook than me, and she didn't make sandwiches or quick things all of the time.

At around six thirty, I got the call from the police department. I picked it up right away, fearing the news and wanted the best, but prepared for the worst.